Friday, December 30, 2016

RIP LaVell Edwards

LaVell Edwards died yesterday at age 86.  He is the one college football coach I always admired.  He was an excellent football coach but more importantly he was a wonderful man.

I will always remember BYU winning the national championship in 1984.  I daresay that was the beginning of my love of college football.  I remember my parents taking us to the BYU bookstore to pick out a national championship souvenir after the 1984 season.  I don't remember what I picked out but we all remember what Lisa chose.  A LaVell Edwards poster.  Excellent choice Lisa!  :-)

This quote from LaVell Edwards epitomizes why I looked up to him not only as a legendary college football coach but as an example of someone to emulate.
"all that has happened to me in my chosen profession is a mere drop in the bucket compared to the truly important things in my life.
"The testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ that I have, along with my wife and my family, are my most important possessions.” -- LaVell Edwards
LaVell Edwards had his priorities straight.  He was a giant on the field and off through his service to the young men he mentored as a coach and to all who knew him or knew of him.

RIP LaVell Edwards!

That's my two cents.

Image result for Lavell Edwards 1984
LaVell Edwards August 11,1984 
Image result for Lavell Edwards 1984

1 comment:

  1. LaVell Edwards will always be remembered as one of the greats.
    He was a good man who lived a good life.
    My LaVell Edwards football schedule poster ruled supreme! Wish I still had it. :)

    ReplyDelete