Friday, December 23, 2016

Eternity

While watching Walker Texas Ranger I heard a really good quote.  So I thought I would post it on my blog for all of you to see.

"I would not trade my eternity for his."

I echo the sentiment of the character on Walker.  I would not want to trade my eternity for anyone else's.

We each control our own destiny through our agency and choices.  This is why we fought so hard in the pre-mortal existence (pre-earth life) for agency.  Satan wanted to take away our agency.  Agency is a necessary part of our Heavenly Father's plan.  Without it we could not progress.

Thankfully we all made the right choice in choosing to follow Heavenly Father's plan in the pre-mortal existence.  Therefore we were given the opportunity to come to earth, receive a body, and exercise our agency.

Unfortunately many people exercise their agency unwisely and make terrible choices which affect their eternity.  Every choice has a consequence.  Good or bad.

You can't force people to heaven.  Our choices in life determine our eternal destiny.  People must choose to go to heaven. Based on how they choose to live their life and who they choose to follow.

You can give someone a home teaching or visiting teaching list -- or any calling -- and they can choose whether to accept it or not.  They can choose whether they will magnify their calling or not.  Or they can choose to completely leave the Church for whatever reason or not.  Or they may choose to never join the Church for whatever reason. But what they can't choose are the consequences of those choices. Those choices will affect their eternity.

I will close with a quote from our beloved prophet:
"I can’t stress too strongly that decisions determine destiny. You can’t make eternal decisions without eternal consequences." -- Thomas S. Monson, Decisions Determine Destiny, November 6, 2005
I'm grateful I am in control of my own destiny, my eternity. I am grateful for the blessing of agency. And like the character in Walker, I would not trade my eternity for anyone's.

That's my two cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment