Wednesday, April 19, 2017

The Easiest Question

I received a letter in the mail inviting me to do a survey regarding wheelchair access.  So yesterday I did it.

I have filled out probably hundreds of forms in my life.  One of the first questions asked on most forms is, "what is your sex?"  Then there are two boxes to choose from M or F.  It's very straight forward and the easiest question to answer.  The survey I completed yesterday was no exception in asking what my sex was.  What was different was that there were four different boxes to choose from!  What?!

There are only two different sexes in humans.  In fact, in all of the animal kingdom there are only two sexes.  Male and female.  Your sex is determined upon conception.  While you are still a microscopic ball of cells you are already male or female.  Every cell in your body that has a nucleus has a pair of sex chromosomes which code for male or female.  If you have XY you are male.  If you have XX you are female.  Everyone who has had high school biology understands this.  Or should understand this.  :-) It's very simple.

So you can imagine my surprise when instead of having the usual M and F with a box beside each to check which sex you are, there were four boxes to choose from.  Of course the usual M and F were two of them.  The third box had "intersex" written next to it.  I have never heard that term before but just looking at the root words I'm assuming it means between sexes.  How can you be in between sexes?  It's biologically impossible.  Except for true hermaphrodites, which are extremely rare.  Now I understand that some people mutilate their bodies with hormones and surgery to try to become the opposite sex.  But it's a sad futile attempt because there's no way you can change the sex chromosomes in every cell nucleus in your body.  By manipulating the delicate hormone balance of your body you are merely wreaking havoc with a well oiled machine so to speak.  If every cell in your body carries the XY chromosome and you pump a bunch of female hormones in, your body is not going to like it.  It's unnatural.  I wouldn't be surprised if we don't start seeing a lot more cases of cancer in individuals who do this.  Not to mention all kinds of other side effects that are still unknown.

There is no such thing as "intersex".  Except perhaps in the case of a true hermaphrodite, which is extremely rare, and really a nonissue for survey purposes.  It has never warranted an extra box before.  Now that transgenderism is in the political spotlight, suddenly they have to have an extra box to be politically correct because of a few confused people.

People who are born as one sex yet claim to identify as the opposite sex are confused individuals with a psychological disorder. I am not downplaying mental illness or psychological issues that people have.  I feel very sad for those who struggle with any kind of psychological or mental illness or disorder.  But trying to change your sex by mutilating your body is not the answer.

The fourth box on the survey said "other or prefer not to answer".  I guess they feel they have to cover all the bases.  Even though it's the easiest question in the world to answer.  I'm afraid this survey was falling into the trap of political correctness.  Since "transgenderism" seems to be the hot political issue of the day.  I find it extremely sad and actually detrimental to those who suffer from gender identity issues to have their struggles politicized.

It is said that there's a first time for everything.  This was the first time I have ever had more than two choices to the question of which sex I am.  I was actually quite disturbed by it.  For all the so-called progression in the world, it sure seems like we're regressing.  There are only two possible answers to the inquiry of which sex you are.  So why in the world are there 4 different boxes to check?

All I have to say is, once again, chalk flew!

That's my two cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment