Wednesday, April 5, 2017

The Power of One

I've been wanting to do this post for a while but I didn't have all the pictures I wanted.  Now I do. So here you go.  :-)

When my grandpa was in the Navy in World War II he was a good example of righteous living and missionary work.  He shared the gospel with two of his shipmates and both were baptized.  Both Don Davidson and Dale Maddox raised their families in the gospel and remained steadfast throughout their lives.
Don Davidson, Marvin E. Sabin, Dale Maddox
At my grandpa's funeral a couple of months ago, there was a beautiful floral wreath sent by the Maddox family.


Here is what the attached card said:


Because of my grandpa's example and willingness to share the gospel with Dale Maddox, 144 of Dale's descendents now have the blessings of the gospel.  And that doesn't even take into consideration the fact that all nine of his children served full-time missions and the dozens of his grandchildren who also served missions and how many countless people now have the gospel because of their efforts.

The power one person has to influence the lives of so many others -- for good or ill -- is astounding.

It brings to mind the following Scripture:

Doctrine and Covenants 18:15-16
15 And if it so be that you should labor all your days in crying repentance unto this people, and bring, save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him in the kingdom of my Father! 
16 And now, if your joy will be great with one soul that you have brought unto me into the kingdom of my Father, how great will be your joy if you should bring many souls unto me!
Even though I had heard the story, countless times, of my grandpa baptizing Don Davidson and Dale Maddox.  I didn't realize the extent of the impact his example and willingness to share the Gospel had on their families.

It's nice to be able to see the fruits of his labors in just one man's story.  In baptizing one man, Dale Maddox, in just my grandpa's lifetime, 144 people now have the blessings of the gospel in their lives.

The power of one truly is incredible.

That's my two cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment