Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Waylon Jennings Tribute

I've been on a Waylon Jennings kick the past week or so.  I've been playing his songs on my iTunes for the past few days.

Waylon has always been one of my favorite singers.  I remember listening to his CDs in my apartments and on my commutes back in my college and California days.

Of course I like the classics such as "Mammas Don't Let Your Babies Grow up to Be Cowboys" and "Luckenbach, Texas".  It's hard to beat a good Waylon and Willie duet.  

Everybody who grew up in the 80s knows the Dukes of Hazzard song and can easily recognize Waylon's iconic voice as the narrator.  His song, "Wrong" is a fun and catchy tune.  Oh, and let's not forget "Will the Wolf Survive?" and "Good Hearted Woman".  

There are so many Waylon Jennings songs that I love.  But there is one that I used to play on repeat back in the day more than any other.  And I still do.  :-)  If you're not a Waylon aficionado, you may not have even heard of it.  "I Can't Help the Way That I Don't Feel" is my favorite Waylon Jennings song.

I couldn't find a live version on YouTube but here is the audio:


I've always been partial to ballads.  It's no wonder I took a shine to this song, after all Waylon is known as the balladeer on The Dukes of Hazzard. 

Not only do I like Waylon because of his unique, country style baritone vocals and guitar playing.  But I also like that he did his own thing and didn't let the music industry insiders tell him what to do.  He did the music he wanted with his own band and not "session musicians".  I think this is why he, Willie, and the boys were considered "outlaws".  They obviously knew what they were doing.
"There's always one more way to do something -- your way."  -- Waylon Jennings
"You start messing with my music, I get mean. As long as you are honest and up front with me, I will be the same with you. But I still do things my way." -- Waylon Jennings
One time Waylon walked out of an interview because they made him wait too long and let the previous interviewee go overtime and cut into his interview.  I've done the same thing at doctor's offices.  Waylon and I both feel that our time is just as valuable as a TV show host or doctor.  Waylon and I don't like being disrespected.

In 1959 Waylon Jennings was in Buddy Holly's band.  He gave up his seat to "the big bopper" who was sick with the flu and asked him if he could have his seat on the ill-fated flight that also killed Buddy Holly and Ritchie Valens.  So because he was kind, Waylon's life was spared.  But I think he always felt guilty because before the flight he was joking with Buddy Holly who said he hopes his bus freezes up.  To which Waylon replied that he hoped his plane crashes. I think that haunted him the rest of his life.  Perhaps that experience contributed to Waylon's subsequent poor lifestyle choices.

Waylon may have made some terrible lifestyle choices -- which I imagine he regrets.  But he was an amazing musician and stood up for himself and what he felt was right.  I respect him for that.

Waylon didn't attend awards ceremonies because he felt that performers should not compete against each other.  He didn't even attend his induction into the Country Music Hall of Fame.  Despite that he won two Grammys and four CMA awards.

A couple of days ago I wanted to make a Waylon Jennings T-shirt.  So I found an album cover I liked and removed the background.  Unfortunately this particular photo had a cigarette in his mouth.  I wasn't about to wear a shirt that promoted smoking so I Photoshopped out the cigarette.  :-)  if you don't look too closely, you can't even tell.  :-)


Waylon died at age 64 on February 13, 2002 from diabetes related health complications.  He is buried in Mesa, Arizona.  

RIP Waylon Jennings.  June 15, 1937 Littlefield, Texas - February 13, 2002 Chandler, Arizona

"I've never compromised, and people respect that." -- Waylon Jennings

Amen, Waylon.  RIP, my friend.

That's my two cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment