Wednesday, July 27, 2022

RIP Mama Cow

This cow has been our neighbor for seven or eight years.  Shortly after Charlie moved in next door, he brought this cow from his other property which Dad named "Mama Cow".  I don't know her real name.  We've always called her Mama Cow.  Then he also got three calves.  Two of them were slaughtered the next year, but one remained which Dad named "Baby Cow".  Baby Cow is all black.  Those two cows were friends for years.  Mama Cow and Baby Cow were always together.


Dad and I used to take them apples from our tree and watermelon rinds etc. to give them a treat once in a while.  We would always say hi to them when we saw them.

Sunday when I went down to the dog tree Mama Cow was laying right by the fence across from the dog tree. Alone, which was odd.  Baby Cow was nowhere in sight. I got as close as I could on the road and was talking to her.  I noticed she was breathing funny.  I was a bit concerned.  I thought she might be dying.  And I was right.  I came back to the house and told Lisa and Rex about it.  Then Juliet and I took a walk back to the dog tree and she also noticed the labored breathing.  So Rex and Lisa came down to look at her.  Rex told Charlie about her.  He said he would go look at her later.

After a while, Juliet and I came back to the house.  A short time later I was going to go down to check on her but I saw Charlie there so I turned back.

Later, Juliet went down and talked to Charlie.  Apparently Mama Cow had passed in that short time after we left.  Charlie said she was 10 years old.  He kept her as a pet.  Charlie already had her buried and told Juliet that he was going to get a calf to keep Baby Cow company.

Monday morning when I went down to where she was laying when she died I couldn't help but shed a few tears.  She was my friend.

RIP Mama Cow.

That's my two cents. 

1 comment:

  1. RIP Mama cow!! So sad:( Sorry you lost another friend Tam!

    ReplyDelete