Monday, January 5, 2009

Adversity

As all of us must endure adversity to some degree, I thought this quote was apropos. Once again, I found this quote in an article in this month's Ensign (January 2009).

Elder B. H. Roberts of the Seventy (1857–1933) said that “those who have to contend with difficulties, brave dangers, endure disappointments, struggle with sorrows, eat the bread of adversity and drink the water of affliction, develop a moral and spiritual strength, together with a purity of life and character, unknown to the heirs of ease, and wealth and pleasure."

5 comments:

  1. This is something I learned from Athletics. You cannot possibly know the joy and exhilaration that comes from winning without first putting in many hard workouts where you take your spirit to the point of almost breaking, but then something marvelous happens. You find out you are even stronger than you thought possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to read that one again tomorrow. I was super happy to see another posting in the same day! I know adversity helps to make us stronger in the long run. It's kind of funny that I read this post right after my attorney posting. =) Trials are for our benefit even though it sure doesn't seem to make much sense at the time. "That don't make no sense at all." -Captain Woodrow Call

    ReplyDelete
  3. no doubt we all have adversity! every one of us! it isn't easy but i know in the end it will be worth it! trials make us stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we are always left stronger than before because of our trials...thanks for the posting Tam-sometimes we need the reminder.

    ReplyDelete