Monday, January 19, 2009

Hope

I was working on my relief society lesson for next week. The General conference talk I chose to teach on, of the four had to choose from, is the talk by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, entitled "The Infinite Power of Hope" given in the Saturday morning session October 2008. I made an outline of some of the high points of the talk that I want to bring out in my lesson. I copied and pasted the visual aids in to this blog because I thought you might find it interesting and perhaps beneficial. It's a great talk, and a topic that we don't often discuss. I encourage everybody to read it even if you already listened to it in conference. If you would like to read President Uchtdorf's talk, click on the title "Hope" and it will link you to it. Here are my visual aids/outline:

The Infinite Power of Hope
Hope is one leg of a three-legged stool, together with Faith and Charity.
Hope has the power to fill our lives with happiness.
Hope is a gift of the Spirit.
Why is there Despair?
There must be an “opposition in all things” 2 Nephi 2:11
Faith-Doubt
Hope-Despair
Charity-Failure to care for fellowmen
Hope is not knowledge, but rather the abiding trust that the Lord will fulfill his promise to us.
Hope is manifest in confidence, optimism, enthusiasm, and patient perseverance.
Things we hope for are often future events.
Things we hope in sustain us during our daily life.
Hope is cultivated one step at a time.
Faith Hope and Charity complement each other. As one grows, the others increase as well.
The brighter our hope, the greater our faith.
The stronger our hope, the purer our charity.
The things we hope for, lead us to faith.
The things we hope in, lead us to charity.
Doctrine and Covenants 6:34 “Therefore, fear not, little flock; do good; let earth and hell combine against you, for if ye are built upon my rock, they cannot prevail.”

3 comments:

  1. sounds like a beautiful lesson tam! you always do a great job on teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked that talk when I heard it in conference Tam. I bet everyone will enjoy your lesson. You're a great teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like it's going to be an awesome lesson Tam. What more can I say than, "A Have Hope."

    ReplyDelete