Sunday, March 8, 2009

Angels

Here's a great quote from one of the 12 apostles, Jeffrey R. Holland. To read the entire talk, click on the link, or title. It would be well worth your time. It's a great talk.

"When Adam and Eve willingly stepped into mortality, they knew this telestial world would contain thorns and thistles and troubles of every kind. Perhaps their most challenging realization, however, was not the hardship and danger they would endure but the fact that they would now be distanced from God, separated from Him with whom they had walked and talked, who had given them face-to-face counsel. After this conscious choice, as the record of creation says, 'they saw him not; for they were shut out from his presence' (Moses 5:4). Amidst all else that must have troubled them, surely this must have troubled them the most."

"But God knew the challenges they would face, and He certainly knew how lonely and troubled they would sometimes feel. So He watched over His mortal family constantly, heard their prayers always, and sent prophets (and later apostles) to teach, counsel, and guide them. But in times of special need, He sent angels, divine messengers, to bless His children, reassure them that heaven was always very close and that His help was always very near. Indeed, shortly after Adam and Eve found themselves in the lone and dreary world, an angel appeared unto them, who taught them the meaning of their sacrifice and the atoning role of the promised Redeemer who was to come."...

"In the course of life all of us spend time in “dark and dreary” places, wildernesses, circumstances of sorrow or fear or discouragement. Our present day is filled with global distress over financial crises, energy problems, terrorist attacks, and natural calamities. These translate into individual and family concerns not only about homes in which to live and food available to eat but also about the ultimate safety and well-being of our children and the latter-day prophecies about our planet. More serious than these—and sometimes related to them—are matters of ethical, moral, and spiritual decay seen in populations large and small, at home and abroad. But I testify that angels are still sent to help us, even as they were sent to help Adam and Eve, to help the prophets, and indeed to help the Savior of the world Himself. Matthew records in his gospel that after Satan had tempted Christ in the wilderness “angels came and ministered unto him.” Even the Son of God, a God Himself, had need for heavenly comfort during His sojourn in mortality. And so such ministrations will be to the righteous until the end of time. As Mormon said to his son Moroni, who would one day be an angel:

“Has the day of miracles ceased?"

“Or have angels ceased to appear unto the children of men? Or has he withheld the power of the Holy Ghost from them? Or will he, so long as time shall last, or the earth shall stand, or there shall be one man upon the face thereof to be saved?"

“Behold I say unto you, Nay; for … it is by faith that angels appear and minister unto men." …

“For behold, they are subject unto [Christ], to minister according to the word of his command, showing themselves unto them of strong faith and a firm mind in every form of godliness.” "
Jeffrey R. Holland, "The Ministry of Angels," Ensign, Nov. 2008, 29

Elder Holland's talk is titled "The Ministry of Angels". It is about Angels helping us in times of need. Whether they are Angels in the true sense, or people around us here on earth who help us. My parents are Angels to me. They have dedicated their lives to helping me. My siblings are also Angels who bear me up. I know I was surrounded by numerous Angels when I was struggling for my life in the ICU. Because of all of my Angels, I am here today. I would like to thank all of my Angels!

Remember when you are in a "dark and dreary" place that angels are there to comfort you and bear you up. And you are not alone!

That's my two cents.

3 comments:

  1. I too have felt strengthened and blessed by angels in my life. Good posting Tam. I think a lot of people today feel that angels are a thing of the past and only in stories you read in the Bible--but as we learned in Primary today--God is the same yesterday, today and forever! Good talk by Elder Holland. I know angels are very real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that the angels are always close by, and I am surrounded by them whenever my children, and their families are by my side. One of my angels just celebrated his first birthday here on earth this past Friday. Happy Birthday Brandon! Tammy, I told you in the hospital that you are my hero, and that's my story, and I'm stick'n to it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great post tam, i know we are surrounded by angels here on earth. i remember a lot of them when you were in ICU.

    ReplyDelete