Friday, March 20, 2009

Idol

I have a real problem with anything entitled "Idol". This is why I have chosen not to watch American Idol this year. Now, I admit, I have watched it in years past. But I have always been bothered by the moniker. You could argue that the program is just a harmless talent competition with a misfortunate name. I would disagree.

In our society, idols are commonplace. Movie stars, sports figures, musicians, even politicians are idolized. Most, if not all, are bad examples of what we should aspire to be. Money and materialistic possessions are also idolized. Things such as fancy cars, expensive namebrand clothing, boats, houses, etc. are idolized and seem to reflect who we are. People even idolize their own bodies. Just look at all the cosmetic surgery, weight loss programs, fitness centers (gyms), etc. all aimed at making us "look better". How we spend our time including hobbies and recreation are reflections on who or what we idolize. The list goes on and on.

A television program with the title, "American Idol", is not just a harmless talent show. It is yet another way for the media to emphasize idolization. The contestants start out as average people and through the course of the competition they have stylists and makeup artists who transform their hair and clothes and change them from average to "idols". The people who have won the competition in years past, are not the same regular Joe's they once were. They are now among the famous, who are now idolized.

Exodus 20:3-5
3 "Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:

5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them ..."

"When anything wastefully dominates our time, compromises our loyalty, or confuses our priorities so that God and his work become second, we are worshiping idols." Dennis Largey, “Refusing to Worship Today’s Graven Images,” Liahona, Mar 1998, 17

Matthew 6: 24 "No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon."

In the world we live in, we are constantly being bombarded by "graven images". The last thing we need is another television program about "idols". You can rationalize that American Idol is just a harmless singing competition. But it is not harmless. It teaches us to idolize someone because they can sing and are now famous.

We should focus on doing that which does not idle our time away, or confuse our priorities. We should focus on worshiping God and not worshiping idols.

That's my two cents.

4 comments:

  1. I have never watched the American Idol show. Most people I know do watch it though. From what I do know about the show it seems it's just 3 or 4 people (who claim to be "judges") who make mean and rude comments, criticizing the contestants and basically destroying their self esteem.
    I do not feel I've missed out on anything by not watching it. I know there are people who schedule their lives around the show...it's like an addiction almost to some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I like your Easter backgroud. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, i am guilty of watching this show. it is sad it is like i have to watch it every week now to see who will get "kicked off" i do agree with you tam i think T.V. in general is all bad. good thing i have cancelled my dish network officially sunday it will be gone! probably a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to watch it. I think I'm the only one in the family who watched the first season. Kelly Clarkson was the best of all the winners. I get bored with it once all the really terrible singers are gone. That's the only part of the show I find entertaining, watching the people who think they can sing who are absolutely atrocious. Myself being a singer, I think the judges are doing a favor to the people who think they can sing, but really cannot. They could be a little more sensitive to their feelings though I guess. But sometimes if you are not outright blunt with people, it doesn't get through to them.

    ReplyDelete