Saturday, October 24, 2015

Be an Example and a Light -- Part One

I recently re-watched President Monson's General conference address from earlier this month.  I always seem to get much more out of each conference address every additional time I watch or read them.  This was no exception.  The second time I watched it I wasn't so distracted and was able to glean much more out of it.

I would argue that it is perhaps our dear Prophet's most meaningful and touching address yet.  And he's given many!  :-)

There are so many wonderful quotes that I think I will break them up into segments.  At least two.  :-)

Perhaps it is because of recent life experience or because this is a topic that has always touched a nerve with me but, the following quote really struck me and resonated with me:

"The words we use can lift and inspire, or they can harm and demean. In the world today there is a profusion of profanity with which we seem to be surrounded at nearly every turn. It is difficult to avoid hearing the names of Deity being used casually and thoughtlessly. Coarse comments seem to have become a staple of television, movies, books, and music. Bandied about are slanderous remarks and angry rhetoric. Let us speak to others with love and respect, ever keeping our language clean and avoiding words or comments that would wound or offend. May we follow the example of the Savior, who spoke with tolerance and kindness throughout His ministry."

-- President Thomas S. Monson, Be an Example and a Light, October 2015

The words we choose to use speak volumes as to our character, who we are, and how we want to represent ourselves. As President Monson said, "there is a profusion of profanity" all around us. And it's only getting worse.  It saddens me deeply that people choose to disrespect and demean those around them by blaspheming deity and using such course and crass language.

It really is a sign of lack of intelligence, refinement, class, tact, and grace.

Using profanity is ultimate disrespect.

Any mindless buffoon can utter profanity.  But it takes an intelligent, refined, classy, tactful, graceful follower of our Savior to rise above and be an example and a light.

That's my two cents.

1 comment:

  1. We are using Pres. Monson's talk in our upcoming FHE.
    I have to agree, it was one of his best.
    No excuse for profanity.

    ReplyDelete