Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Be an Example and a Light -- Part Four

"...we are to be an example in spirit. To me that means we strive to have in our lives kindness, gratitude,forgiveness, and goodwill. These qualities will provide for us a spirit which will touch the lives of those around us. It has been my opportunity through the years to associate with countless individuals who possess such a spirit. We experience a special feeling when we are with them, a feeling that makes us want to associate with them and to follow their example. They radiate the Light of Christ and help us feel His love for us.

"To illustrate that the light which comes from a pure and loving spirit is recognized by others, I share with you an experience of many years ago.

"At that time, leaders of the Church met with officials in Jerusalem to work out a lease agreement for land on which the Church’s Jerusalem Center would be built. In order to obtain the permissions needed, the Church had to agree that no proselyting would be undertaken by our members who would occupy the center. After that agreement had been made, one of the Israeli officials, who was well acquainted with the Church and its members, remarked that he knew the Church would honor the no-proselyting agreement. “But,” he said, referring to the students who would attend there, “what are we going to do about the light that is in their eyes?”  May that special light ever shine within us, that it might be recognized and appreciated by others."

-- President Thomas S. Monson, Be an Example and a Light, October 2015

It has been said that the eyes are the window to the soul -- I have found that to be true.  It is amazing how just looking into someone's eyes can tell you a lot about them.  Some people's eyes sparkle and shine and emanate light, and others are dark, dreary, and sad.  It obviously has to do with life choices in how they choose to live, and who they choose to follow.

I think I've told this story before when I posted my mission stories and pictures -- one of the ladies we tracted into one day told me that I looked wholesome.  Obviously as full-time missionaries we are focused on doing the Lord's work 24/7 and are close to Him and His work.  This lady was able to recognize that light coming from a servant of the Lord.  It was the best compliment I have ever received. And it reiterates President Monson's prophetic words, "the light which comes from a pure and loving spirit is recognized by others."

It brings to mind this Scripture:

Alma 5:14 "And now behold, I ask of you, my brethren of the church, have ye spiritually been born of God? Have ye received his image in your countenances? Have ye experienced this mighty change in your hearts?"

I echo President Monson's hope for all of us, "May that special light ever shine within us, that it might be recognized and appreciated by others."

That's my two cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment