Saturday, October 31, 2015

Be an Example and a Light -- Part Eight

"It is often difficult to be different and to stand alone in a crowd. It is natural to fear what others might think or say. Comforting are the words of the psalm: “The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?”  As we make Christ the center of our lives, our fears will be replaced by the courage of our convictions.

"Life is perfect for none of us, and at times the challenges and difficulties we face may become overwhelming, causing our light to dim. However, with help from our Heavenly Father, coupled with support from others, we can regain that light which will illuminate our own path once again and provide the light others may need."

"To illustrate, I share with you the touching words of a favorite poem I first read many years ago:

I met a stranger in the night
Whose lamp had ceased to shine.
I paused and let him light
His lamp from mine.
A tempest sprang up later on
And shook the world about.
And when the wind was gone
My lamp was out!
But back to me the stranger came—
His lamp was glowing fine!
He held the precious flame
And lighted mine!8
-- President Thomas S. Monson, Be an Example and a Light, October 2015 General Conference

No comments:

Post a Comment