Saturday, January 23, 2016

Don't Tell Me What to Do

Somehow I got on a Pam Tillis kick.  She was one of my favorites back in the 90s.  Post-mission college days.  Anyway, one of my favorite songs of hers came back to my memory.  So I want to quote part of it here.

Don't Tell Me What to Do

"We've tried and we've tried but it's over
Guess I didn't fit the image in your mind...
You tell me to...
Oh but baby, aren't you getting out of line?

Don't tell me what to do,
you've already said we are through.
I'm a page that you have turned,
I'm no longer your concern,
so don't tell me what to do,
I'll love you forever if I want to.

Well, I'm a big girl I can take care of myself.

So, don't tell me what to do,
you've already said we are through.
I'm a page that you have turned,
I'm no longer your concern,
so don't tell me what to do,
I'll love you forever if I want to."

This is what I say to all of you manipulative control freaks who try to control everyone else's lives because you have relinquished all control of your own. And also to those who are hoodwinked by them. Don't tell me what to do!

Another great song by Pam Tillis that seems apropos at this time is "Cleopatra, Queen Of Denial".
These lyrics epitomize the aforementioned, "just call me Cleopatra everybody 'cause I'm the queen [or king] of denial".

That's my two cents.

1 comment:

  1. I was just singing "Let That Pony Run" by Pam Tillis two days ago.
    "You hang on 'til you can't hang on-- Then you learn to let go..."
    If only the chestnut horse and barn with an old hay loft were true. :)

    ReplyDelete