Sunday, January 31, 2016

My Sacrament Meeting Talk -- How the Plan of Salvation Affects My Life

Tammy’s Sacrament Meeting Talk
January 31, 2016
How the Plan of Salvation Affects My Life

“In the premortal existence, Heavenly Father prepared a plan to enable us to become like Him and receive a fullness of joy.”1 This plan is often referred to as the plan of salvation or the great plan of happiness.

“The plan of salvation is the fulness of the gospel. It includes the Creation, the Fall, the Atonement of Jesus Christ, and all the laws, ordinances, and doctrines of the gospel. Moral agency, the ability to choose and act for ourselves, is also essential in Heavenly Father’s plan.”1

We should all feel really good about ourselves.  Each one of us made the wise choice to follow our elder brother Jesus Christ and the plan of salvation as was explained to us in the pre-mortal existence.  Unfortunately one third of our brothers and sisters instead chose to follow Satan. They relinquished the opportunity to receive a body and experience mortality.

Our purpose here on Earth is twofold.  To gain a physical body and learn how to master it. And to be tested, to learn and grow through trials and temptations and to paraphrase the prophet Abraham, “to prove ourselves to see if we will do all things that the Lord commands us.”2

Our bodies are a tremendous gift from our Heavenly Father.  They are also what make us more powerful than Satan and his hosts. They will never have bodies and are very sore about that.  They will do everything in their power to destroy our agency and make us miserable like them.

Elder David A. Bednar said, "In the school of mortality, we experience tenderness, love, kindness, happiness, sorrow, disappointment, pain, and even the challenges of physical limitations in ways that prepare us for eternity. Simply stated, there are lessons we must learn and experiences we must have, as the scriptures describe, “according to the flesh”…”3

"Satan relentlessly works to distort the most important elements of the Father’s plan. He does not have a body, and his eternal progress has been halted.…Because a physical body is so central to the Father’s plan of happiness and our spiritual development, Lucifer seeks to frustrate our progression by tempting us to use our bodies improperly. One of the ultimate ironies of eternity is that the adversary, who is miserable precisely because he has no physical body, entices us to share in his misery through the improper use of our bodies. The very tool he does not have is thus the primary target of his attempts to lure us to spiritual destruction."3

The second aspect of our mortal experience is to be tested and to prove ourselves.
I've heard people say things like, "Why do I have to go through such hard trials when I'm trying to do what's right?"  Or to sum it up succinctly, "Why do bad things happen to good people?"  The answer is easy.

Let's compare our earth life or mortality to school.  There are many degrees available in a variety of subjects from institutions of higher learning.  Everybody who opts for a higher education receives some kind of degree upon completing the requirements.  Our experience here in mortality is much the same.  We are here to learn and work towards a degree of glory.  Depending on the degree we choose to work towards, the requirements may vary greatly.  Working towards an associate degree requires less time and effort than does working towards a doctorate degree.  Similarly, working towards a celestial degree of glory requires more of us than does a lesser degree of glory.  Our individual knowledge and experiences vary greatly whether in academia or mortality. Those who choose the easier path don’t learn as much and don’t progress as far as those who choose a more advanced degree.

Sometimes we go through difficult trials because we need them to learn and grow.  This is how we progress towards becoming more like our Heavenly Father.  And sometimes we go through trials as a consequence of our own or someone else’s bad choices.  Since agency is so central to our Heavenly Father’s plan, He will never take away someone’s agency.  This is why sometimes bad things happen to good people.

Those who are able to face difficult trials and overcome them learn more and become closer to being like Heavenly Father and thus progress farther and more rapidly than those who sail smoothly through life.

Whenever I face a difficult trial I think that Heavenly Father must love me so much to let me take the advanced course.  It also gives me confidence to know that He will never give me more than I can handle. So when I face adversity, I have confidence that I can conquer it.  Knowing that it will help me become more like my Heavenly Father and progress toward exaltation. Much like taking a difficult course in college helps us progress towards obtaining our desired degree.

President Dieter F. Uchtdorf said, “…adversity teaches us things we cannot learn otherwise. Adversity helps to develop a depth of character that comes in no other way. Our loving Heavenly Father has set us in a world filled with challenges and trials so that we, through opposition, can learn wisdom, become stronger, and experience joy.”4

A couple of weeks ago I was re-watching the last General Conference.  Something Sister Linda S. Reeves said really jumped out at me, “I do not know why we have the many trials that we have, but it is my personal feeling that the reward is so great, so eternal and everlasting, so joyful and beyond our understanding that in that day of reward, we may feel to say to our merciful, loving Father, “Was that all that was required?” I believe that if we could daily remember and recognize the depth of that love our Heavenly Father and our Savior have for us, we would be willing to do anything to be back in Their presence again, surrounded by Their love eternally. What will it matter …what we suffered here if, in the end, those trials are the very things which qualify us for eternal life and exaltation in the kingdom of God with our Father and Savior?”5

To me, that puts a different perspective on how we should view our lives here in mortality. We should view this experience as a gift from a loving Heavenly Father, who wants the very best for us and wants us to become like Him.  Mortality is not a punishment that we just have to muddle through to reach our eternal reward.  I like to view it as an intense educational experience that we are privileged to have.  I imagine we rejoiced in our pre-mortal life at the opportunity.  Getting to come to earth and experience mortality is like getting into a prestigious university.  Both of which provide many challenges and require hard work, yet can be very rewarding.

Even though it’s a test and an intense learning experience, mortality is also meant to be happy.  Nephi said, “… men are that they might have joy.”6 If you are one of those people who says, “I’ll be happy when…” -- stop it. Take the time to re-examine your life and count all the many blessings that the Lord has bestowed upon you, and you will find that they far outweigh the adversity in your life.  Focus on the good and not the bad.  If we are trying to do what’s right and follow the Lord’s commandments, he has promised us much joy and happiness in this life.

When my sister and I were both in college I went to visit her at her university while I was on spring break at mine.  I was on campus with her when she went to check her grade in one of her classes.  As we were walking to the building where it was posted, she told me that if she didn’t get a certain mark in the class that she would not be able to graduate.  So when we got there and saw that the score was lower than she had hoped – she decided that she would go directly to the registrar’s office and drop all of her classes and drop out of school completely.  As we were hastily walking to the registrar’s office I gently reminded her that all hope was not lost. She would still be able to graduate.  Granted it would take more effort, but you don’t throw away four years of hard work because of one failing grade. Thankfully it was a long walk to the registrar’s office and by the time we got there I had convinced her to stay in school and complete her degree.  Which she did.

Do we sometimes get discouraged like my sister and feel like we’re failing and will never be able to obtain the degree we’re working towards?  A university will not kick you out for failing one test or even one course.  Likewise, all hope is not lost because we occasionally fail in mortality.  In academia we can retake classes and continue our quest for a degree. In mortality we can repent and get back on the straight and narrow path toward our celestial degree.

Don’t ever give up hope brothers and sisters. No matter how bad things seem, they will get better.  This life is too short to get discouraged, lose hope and fail.  Remember, this too shall pass and if we endure it well, the rewards are unfathomable.

Because the gift of moral agency is central to the plan of salvation, I want to turn my focus now to consequences of choice.  We’re all well aware of consequences to bad choices, so I’m going to focus on the consequences of our good choices.

The easiest example I can think of is The Word of Wisdom.  By choosing to live the Word of Wisdom, the consequence is a healthy body.  Another example is tithing.  When we pay our tithing, the consequence is financial and spiritual blessings.  Some of which may not be transparent. For instance, we may not always get an unexpected check in the mail when we pay our tithing.  The Lord might bless us by our car not breaking down and not having the added expense of repairs.  Or perhaps we may not get sick and therefore save money on doctor bills.  Those are consequences of paying tithing we may not recognize.  Obeying the law of chastity is another example. Some of the consequences of obeying the law of chastity are universal consequences to obeying God's commandments including: an increased outpouring of the Holy Ghost, increased happiness, and one we might not think about much but it is certainly true -- increased self-confidence and self-worth.

After my accident, the future I had envisioned for myself in this life changed drastically.  But it didn’t change my eternal perspective or who I am or how I feel about myself.  I don’t base my self-worth on superficial things like what I look like or how successful I am according to the world’s standards but, rather, I base my self-worth on who I am and how I’m living my life.  Therefore, my self-esteem is as high as, or higher than it’s ever been.  Self-confidence and self-worth have never been something I have struggled with because I know who I am.  I know that I am a daughter of God and, am of royal birth. I have the gospel of Jesus Christ.  I know the plan of salvation.  I know where I came from, why I'm here and where I'm going.  I think this is something we as members of the Church often take for granted.  Most people in the world don't have the knowledge that we have.  Nor the blessings that come from knowing it and living it.

When I was on my mission -- I served in the Florida Tampa Mission -- my companion and I were out tracting one day, which is something we did quite often.  After knocking doors for a few hours and having no success, we discussed how lucky we were to have the gospel and knowledge of the plan of salvation.  We were offering everybody a priceless gift -- far greater than rubies or diamonds or gold -- yet nobody wanted it.  If everybody actually understood what we were offering them when we knocked on their door, they would have dropped everything and begged us to teach them.

It brings to mind a line from a hymn, “While they who reject this glad message, shall never such happiness know.”7  The glad message is the plan of salvation.  If we follow it, we are promised exceeding happiness – not only in this life, but in the life to come.

I like to think of the plan of salvation as a treasure map. The treasure being exaltation. How many of us use the treasure map every day to guide us towards the treasure?  And how many of us roll it up and put it in the corner to collect dust? 

What is the secret to using our treasure map daily to keep us on the right path? The answer is daily prayer and scripture study.

President Monson said, “Our Heavenly Father did not launch us on our eternal voyage without providing the means whereby we could receive from Him guidance to ensure our safe return. I speak of prayer. I speak too of the whisperings from that still, small voice; and I do not overlook the holy scriptures, which contain the word of the Lord and the words of the prophets—provided to us to help us successfully cross the finish line.”8

President Uchtdorf said, “I understand that, at times, some may wonder why they attend Church meetings or why it is so important to read the scriptures regularly or pray to our Heavenly Father daily. Here is my answer: You do these things because they are part of God’s path for you. And that path will take you to your “happily ever after” destination.”4

A university will not give you a degree if you do not complete the required coursework—even if you’re just one class short. Likewise, we cannot receive our celestial degree if we do not endure to the end.

When I was on my mission my companion and I tracted into an elderly lady one day.  She invited us in and proceeded to tell us that she and her husband were members of the Church.  Which we found odd because we were the only missionaries in that area and knew all of the members.  She went on to tell us that when they retired and moved to Florida, they also retired from the Church.  Both had served many years in various callings in the Church including him in a bishopric and her in a Relief Society presidency.

Brothers and sisters we can never retire from the Church.  We must not only endure to the end but we must endure it well. How sad to work so hard towards completing a degree just to quit a few credits shy of earning it.

The plan of salvation provides the syllabus and instructions on how to earn our celestial degree.  By following it, we will not only find peace and happiness in this life but we will also earn our celestial degree of glory.

The plan of salvation brings peace and comfort to my life.  For I know my Heavenly Father lives and loves me.  I know my elder brother and Savior Jesus Christ atoned for me and made it possible for me to live with Them again.  I know why I'm here -- the plan of salvation provides the blueprint on how to reach exaltation. I know I will be resurrected one day and my broken and scarred body will be made perfect.  I know that our short time here in mortality is but a blink of the eye, even a nanosecond compared to eternity.  And if we endure it well, how great shall be our joy in the eternities. 

May we all strive to follow our Heavenly Father’s great plan of happiness and endure it well.  In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.






References:

1 – True to the Faith, Plan of Salvation, 2004
2– Abraham 3:25
3-- David A. Bednar, We Believe in Being Chaste, April 2013 General Conference
4 –Dieter F. Uchtdorf, Your Happily Ever After, April 2010 General Conference
5--Linda S. Reeves, Worthy of Our Promised Blessings, October 2015 General Conference
6 – 2 Nephi 2:25
7 – “We Thank Thee, O God, for a Prophet”, Hymn Number 19

8– Thomas S. Monson, The Race of Life, April 2012 General Conference

1 comment:

  1. Excellent talk. Glad I could hear it in person.
    Just to clarify, I am not the sister mentioned. :)

    ReplyDelete