Wednesday, January 3, 2018

RIP President Monson

President Thomas Spencer Monson
1927-2018
Our beloved prophet, seer, and revelator, Thomas S. Monson, died last night at 10:01 PM at his home, surrounded by his family. I'm glad he was able to die at home with family around. He was a giant of a man and has big shoes to fill.  He wore out his life in serving the Lord and serving his fellow man.

I am happy he is now reunited with his wife, Frances. She graduated from mortality a few years ago in May of 2013.  They were married for 64 years.  I'm sure it was a very happy reunion.

President Monson was called as an apostle in 1963.  He was the last living apostle called before I was born.  President Nelson who will be our next prophet and president of the Church was called in 1984.  I actually remember him being called.  He is one of the "new guys".  No more old guys left. Anyone I can remember being called I consider a new guy. I guess that's more reflective of how old I'm getting.

The one thing that stands out to me about President Monson is all of his wonderful personal stories he would share in his talks. He was an excellent storyteller and teacher.

There are many lessons I learned from President Monson but the one that sticks out to me most is that our decisions determine our destiny.  All of our daily choices add up to an eternal destiny.

Another lesson President Monson taught was to always act on promptings of the Holy Ghost.  He told the story of being prompted to go to the hospital to visit one of his ward members who was sick when he was bishop.  Well, he received the prompting while in a meeting and didn't want to interrupt the Stake President's talk.  So right after he finished speaking President Monson bolted out the door to the hospital.  He arrived just after the man died.  From that point on he vowed never to wait but to act right away when receiving a prompting.

Countless lives have been touched by President Monson and his dedicated service to his fellow man, the Church, and the Lord.

I love you President Monson.  Thank you for your shining example and dedication.  May you rest in peace.

That's my two cents.































RIP President Monson!

1 comment:

  1. A joyous day in the heavens.
    I am also grateful for President Monson and his example of great love and service to the Lord.
    One of those quotes hangs on my bathroom wall. :)

    ReplyDelete