Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Reality Check

Okay people, time for a reality check. George Floyd is not a martyr.  Perhaps all of you who are claiming that he is a martyr, need to go back school and learn the definition of martyr.

George Floyd was a criminal who got murdered.  He did not die because of his beliefs.  He was not killed out of religious persecution or even for a cause he believed in.  That's what a martyr is.

No, George Floyd is certainly not a martyr.  In fact, to put him in the same category as real martyrs like Joseph Smith, William Tyndale, and Abinadi is blasphemous.

George Floyd was an average, run-of-the-mill, lowlife criminal.  He certainly did not deserve to be murdered.  Yes, his murder is a tragedy.  Every American believes that.  But I'm sick and tired of hearing that he is a martyr.  I'm tired of people putting a criminal on a pedestal, just because he was murdered.  How many decent, innocent people have died in the riots across this country in the name of justice for George Floyd?  At least 17 so far.  Where is the outcry for their justice?

I'm also sick and tired of people labeling me as racist, just because I'm white.  I should not be shamed for my heritage.  Nobody should.  I am proud of my heritage.  Everyone can be proud of their own heritage.  But singling out one race over all others -- as in black lives matter -- is, in fact, racist. And promotes racism.

There are a lot of smart, outspoken black people out there who feel the same way I do.  There are a few of us who actually have common sense and live in reality.

That's my two cents.

1 comment:

  1. Agreed. George Floyd should not have been killed. I don't know anyone who has ever said otherwise. And also agreed is that he is far from being a martyr. Besides teaching your kids that a man was killed while being arrested, how about you also teach them that he wouldn't have even been in that situation had he not committed a crime in the first place. Had he not resisted arrest. Had he not been so high on drugs that he chose to fight the cops. No reason for him to die, but he does hold accountability for his own choices, just as the cop holds accountability for the choices he made that day too.
    Like you said, there are few who actually have common sense these days.

    ReplyDelete