Monday, June 6, 2022

Mark and Johnny

This is going to be a weird post.  Just a warning in case you want to stop reading now.  I thought about doing this blog post over a month ago, a little after the Johnny Depp trial started.  But, life got in the way and I never did it.  Today, Juliet got me thinking of Mark Chesnutt with her IG story.  So I decided to go ahead and do this post.  :-)

I've been a big fan of Mark Chesnutt's singing voice since I first heard "Broken Promise Land".  Probably around 1990. I own all of Mark Chesnutt's albums and often played him on repeat during my college and medical school days – actually I still do.  :-) There's just something about his voice.  Especially the ballads.  Mark isn't much to look at but his singing voice is very attractive.

Well, a few weeks ago I saw a video of what Mark Chesnutt looks like now.  Unfortunately, time has not done him well.  I couldn't believe how old he looks now.  I knew he was a few years older than me, but not that much.  So I looked up how old he is.  Mark Chesnutt was born September 6, 1963.  Only seven years older than me.  We are both in our 50s!  I don't like to think of myself as looking that old, but I reckon I do. 

From Mark Chesnutt's Instagram May 8, 2022

Then, a couple of days later the Johnny Depp trial started.  As I stated before, I didn't know much about Johnny Depp.  I don't get into Hollywood stuff, but I started watching the trial as a distraction from dealing with Mom going through the dying process.

As I watched some of Johnny Depp's testimony I noticed that he has a really nice speaking voice.  I can see why he became a famous actor.  Naturally, one of the first things I did was look up how old Johnny Depp is.  I was a bit surprised to learn that he was born the same year as Mark Chesnutt.  Johnny Depp was born June 9, 1963.  Exactly 7 1/2 years older than me.

Although they are only three months apart and despite Johnny Depp living a hard, fast, Hollywood lifestyle –(And although Johnny's age is showing) time has been kinder to Johnny than to Mark.

Image of Johnny Depp from 2022 defamation trial

It might seem like a weird comparison, but I found it fascinating that Johnny Depp is less than three months older than Mark Chesnutt and they both have incredible voices.  Both born in 1963.  And it's interesting that Mark's singing voice is much better than his speaking voice.  And vice versa with Johnny Depp.  His speaking voice is much better than his singing voice. 

Another weird observation – does Mark Chesnutt look a lot like Bob Hope in that photo?  He does to me.

Apparently 1963 was a good year to be born with a good voice.  Okay I'm going to end this weird post now.  :-)

That's my two cents.

1 comment:

  1. Mark does look like Bob Hope in that picture. :)

    ReplyDelete