Thursday, June 23, 2022

Superwoman – Then and Now

I know I've posted these  photos before.  I like them because they epitomize who I am –  or who I've been for the past 20 years.  These photos were taken April 28, 2002 according to the metadata (I learned this word from the Johnny Depp trial :-)).   So these photos were taken just months before my accident.  I actually remember purchasing this Superman shirt at JCPenney.  One of my favorite pastimes was taking self-portraits – before selfies were a thing.

Anyway, I happened across these photos the other day and I wasn't having a very good day and and I thought how nice it would be to look like that again and have a young healthy body that worked properly.

So today I wore my Superman shirt – not the same one – and had Lisa take my photograph.  20 years later – 20 years of being paralyzed from the neck down.  20 years I certainly would not want to relive but also 20 years of mortal experiences that have taught me many things and have shaped my character and who I am now.

I certainly wouldn't recognize me as the same person in the Superman shirt 20 years apart.  I actually took the time to Photoshop the photos to lighten them up a bit because they were very dark.  And I also cropped them.  So I will put the original lightened photo and the cropped ones.  And then at the end I will post my current photo taken today.  I don't really like posting photos of myself now but the contrast is drastic and I want to document it for my next blog book.

Original photo (lightened)

Cropped

Close crop. Downey, California.  April 28, 2002

Original photo (lightened). I love my leather animals and plants.  :-)

Hippopotamus, giraffe, elephant

Cropped. not much different than the one above.  Oh well.

Close crop.

Little did I know when I bought that Superman shirt 20 years ago and took those photos that I would have to become super to survive for the next 20 years.

20 years later.  June 23, 2022

Here I am 20 years later, still kicking it.  Although I look much different now, I'm still sporting my Superman shirt.  Because I am a super woman!  :-)

That's my two cents.

4 comments:

  1. Still beautiful as ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lookin good T!! You have been through a lot! I am proud of you! I could never do what you do and continue to do on the daily! You are super woman!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fitting shirt in both pictures but especially the most recent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you everybody. You're too kind.

    ReplyDelete