Friday, July 12, 2024

Swear Not at All

I happened upon this quote today by one of the Lord's prophets.  I really liked it so wanted to post to my blog.

“Profanity is filthiness. A person is known as much by his language as he is by the company he keeps. … Filthiness in any form is degrading and soul-destroying and should be avoided.” — Joseph Fielding Smith

Those of you who know me very well know that I have a strong aversion to profanity.  I did a blog post about it years ago so I'm not going to elaborate much here.  But I will say that words matter and that the language we use is a reflection of our character and of who we are and of what we stand for and reflects our values. 

"But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God’s throne" – Matthew 5:34

Sadly, profanity is now commonplace in our society.  It is a reflection of the degradation of our society.  I will say, if you are not offended by profanity, then you need to change something in your life – because you should be offended by profanity.  I personally cringe every time I hear it.  That should be the normal response.

President Smith is right – profanity is degrading and destroys the soul.

 That's my two cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment