Friday, November 21, 2008

Persecutions May Rage

Over the past few months I have been following the saga of proposition eight in California. For anyone unfamiliar with this proposition, it states that only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California. Or something to that effect. Anyway, as most of you who are reading this probably know, about 10 years ago when I was living in San Francisco I campaigned for proposition 22, which basically said the same thing. Now, as you might imagine, campaigning for such an issue in San Francisco, wasn't the easiest thing I've ever done. As a matter of fact, it was quite challenging. But luckily, I wasn't assigned to canvass the Castro district :-). If I remember the numbers correctly, proposition 22 passed with a 67% margin. Unfortunately, this was recently overturned in the courts by a 4-3 count by the California Supreme Court. Therefore, proposition eight was born. After much effort by many people campaigning for proposition eight, it was passed by the people of California with a 52% margin. There has been much upheaval since the election by the gay and lesbian community, and those who are sympathetic towards them. For some reason, there has been violence and mobs protesting outside of LDS temples in Los Angeles and throughout the country. If I remember correctly, members of the church in California make up less than 2% of the population. So for these mobs to single out the church as the reason for proposition eight passing, is not accurate. There were many other people of all different faiths who voted yes on proposition eight. But, the church is being singled out and persecuted for voicing their opinion on something they believe in. The members of the church have been persecuted since before the church was even organized in 1830. And apparently, not much has changed since then. To me, this is a sign truthfulness of the church. Why else would Satan want to keep attacking it? As I think about these mobs assembling outside of our temples and persecuting the members, it reminds me of something that I had to memorize on my mission. It is called the standard of truth, and it was written by the Prophet Joseph Smith, Jr. "The Standard of Truth has been erected; no unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing; persecutions may rage, mobs may combine, armies may assemble, calumny may defame, but the truth of God will go forth boldly, nobly, and independent, till it has penetrated every continent, visited every clime, swept every country, and sounded in every ear, till the purposes of God shall be accomplished, and the Great Jehovah shall say the work is done." The only thing proposition eight does is protect the sanctity of marriage. It does not take any civil rights away from those who choose to live a homosexual lifestyle. The gospel teaches us that everybody is a child of God. And we are to "love thy neighbor as thyself" but we do not condone nor tolerate sin. I recently read an article online about members of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, who are homosexuals or sympathetic towards them, who are now requesting that their names be removed from the records of the Church. Because of the church's position on homosexuality and the recent comments from the First Presidency asking members of the church in California to do all they can to protect the sanctity of marriage. The church's position on this matter has never changed. Let me just give you a couple of the examples that I read about. One was a young man who is a returned missionary and a self-proclaimed homosexual. He says he still loves the church but he is requesting that his name be removed now because he doesn't agree with what the prophets are saying. Another was a woman who is a physician and also a member of the church. The article stated that she donated $1000 to the no on eight campaign. She also says she still loves and believes in the church, but she doesn't agree with the church on this matter. To me, this is absurd. You cannot pick and choose which doctrines you are going to believe in. Second Nephi 9:28 "O that cunning plan of the evil one! O the vainness, and the frailties, and the foolishness of men! When they are learned they think they are wise, and they hearken not unto the counsel of God, for they set it aside, supposing they know of themselves, wherefore, their wisdom is foolishness and it profiteth them not. And they shall perish."
If the Prophet or apostles happen to state something that you don't agree with, or doesn't fit in with your lifestyle, you can't just dismiss it and say you still believe the church is true you just happen to disagree on this point of doctrine. It doesn't work that way. When the prophets and apostles speak it is as if we are listening to our Savior, speaking to us.
Doctrine and Covenants 1:38 " What I the Lord have spoken, I have spoken, and I excuse not myself; and though the heavens and the earth pass away, my word shall not pass away, but shall all be fulfilled, whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same."
This will not be the end of my discussion on this topic but for now that's my two cents.

4 comments:

  1. The wicked taketh the truth to be hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a scripture to add, but I would like to say, let the sewer flow in the gutter's and be deposited in the cesspool where they belong. Perhaps we could place all of these gay people on an island where they would eventually go extinct. This anonymous is Mike H. Stone

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tam, I think you did an awesome job explaining that point and setting the facts straight for those who may have been a bit confused on the issue. I agree with you 100% that the reason the church is targeted and persecuted constantly by others is because we have the truth, and like you said, Satan knows it.
    I also agree with you 100% that a person cannot claim to love this church and disagree with doctrine or the words of the prophets, which are, as you said the words of Christ Himself. It always makes me mad when people think they are smarter than God. These are His laws, His commandments, His rules and He is right whether others agree or not. I'm glad you are blogging this important stuff. Here's another scripture that could go along with this--2 Nephi 9:40 "...Do not say that I have spoken hard things against you; for if ye do, ye will revile against the truth; for I have spoken the words of your Maker. I know that the words of truth are hard against all uncleanness; but the righteous fear them not, for they love the truth and are not shaken."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, like others, have strong feelings on this matter. I am adamantly opposed to gays and the lifestyle they choose. I always like being pleasantly surprised by things, and I was surprised to hear that Prince is opposed to gay marriage. Here is the article if you want to read it: http://www.vibe.com/news/news_headlines/2008/11/prince_gay_marriage/

    ReplyDelete