Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Scumbag Television

I haven't seen a television sitcom or drama in seven years. I can't stand them. There is so much junk in them that they aren't even enjoyable. The television shows that I do watch include: Dr. G. Medical examiner, mystery diagnosis, Jeopardy!, house hunters, news, etc. oh and let's not forget college football :-)

What bothers me is, for example, while I'm watching Jeopardy I am subjected to commercials for desperate housewives, Grey's anatomy etc. and other scumbag shows. I have not seen these programs at all but, just from the commercials that I see, I know they are not good viewing, and are detrimental to the spirit.

It rather annoys me, the commercials they put on television, especially when I'm watching a supposedly clean, and/or educational program. When I watch the learning Channel, I see commercials for programs such as LA ink (a tattoo parlor program), what not to wear (apparently a program where mean people tell unsuspecting people that their clothes are ugly) what is educational about that? And this is the programming they put on the learning Channel.

Why is it that the people on the home and Garden channel, can't express their feelings about seeing new renovations etc., without taking the name of the Lord in vain? I enjoy watching the home and Garden channel to see the new ideas for home decorating and renovations, but the cussing really offends and annoys me. It is so unnecessary. Why can't they say, "wow, that looks great" or something to that effect? They must not have an adequate vocabulary.

If I'm watching a TV G program, I don't think they should be able to put what I would consider R -rated commercials on during my program. Actually, regardless of the program you're watching, I don't think they should be able to put R-rated commercials on at all.

Not only that but I don't think alcohol should be able to be advertised on television at all. There is a big enough problem with alcohol, drinking and driving, underage drinking, etc. in this country. We don't need more advertising to encourage more alcohol abuse. Every time I watch a sporting event on television, i.e. college football, I am subjected to numerous alcohol commercials.

Something else that is ridiculous, that is usually shown during sporting events, are commercials for ED, and male enhancement. These also should not be able to be shown on television.

It's no wonder that society has gone to H. in a handbasket. I believe that television, and its negative influence on, specifically, children, and the family is the major cause of moral decline in our society.

I remember after my mission, I couldn't believe how much worse television was than before I left. And this was just 18 months later. They were allowing swearwords, and other things that would have been edited out, I was actually in shock. And this was about 15 years ago. It is much worse now. People are so desensitized to the horrible things that are on television, that they don't even think twice about it.

The worst part of it all, is that children are being exposed to profanity, sex, violence, etc. on a daily basis, and probably for several hours a day. Even the children's programming is not immune. What happened to the days of Fred Flintstone and Tom and Jerry? The little bit of children's programming I have seen recently is laced with profanity, innuendo, and crudity.

Anytime a new technology is invented, such as television or the computer, Satan puts his grasp on it, and uses it for evil.

That's my two cents.

5 comments:

  1. I agree. That's why I don't watch much TV--the news every once in awhile, BYU TV--which is usually inspirational, and sometimes Extreme Home Makeover, because I like to hear the stories of the people and see the happiness as they receive such a blessing as a new house. I like the giving aspect of it. I don't appreciate the horrible commercials and ads--like you said, none of it should be shown. Satan is hard at work and ever increasing his efforts to destroy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure that "Ditto" is enough, but I think you pretty well covered the subject Dr. S.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes i also agree. tv is a waste of time really. that is why i just downgraded my dish network to local channels only. a lot of scum out there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like the Violent Femmes say: "I hate the t.v., I hate the t.v, you know that it's killing me, you know that it's killing me ..."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree about the quality of programming and the frustration of inappropriate commercials during an appropriate show.
    I agree that it can be a huge timewaster, but if you are going to watch some (which we do) then I think the DVR is one of the best things invented! Spencer can watch a sports game when it fits the family schedule and skip all commercials! I record a few family shows and we can watch them whenever we plan it and again, no commercials!
    I agree with all of your posts, by the way! :)

    ReplyDelete