Tuesday, April 28, 2009

A Good Debate

I enjoy a good debate. Whether participating or observing, I like to hear both parties bringing up valid points/arguments. It brings out the spirit of competition in me. Those who know me, know that I am quite a fighter. If I wasn't, I wouldn't be alive right now.

It is no fun to debate someone who is not intelligent enough to bring valid points to the argument. For instance, the other day I got into a debate with someone. Let me give you an example of one of their arguments. "It is okay to [fill in the blank] because a lot of people do it." I mean really, is this the best they can come up with? Is this really an argument that an intelligent adult member of our species would pose? Could you try to be serious? This argument is laughable. And then, this same person tells me that they don't understand my rebuttal. It was no fun at all. Could you please at least give me some competition?

I could say a lot more about this topic but I will leave it at that. I have intentionally left out names and specific arguments to protect the guilty. Suffice it to say, if you want to start a debate with me, please at least think through your argument before you make a fool of yourself.

That's my two cents.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Tam, I too enjoy debating; and I understand exactly what you are saying.

    ReplyDelete