Monday, April 6, 2009

Mutant Bulldogs

This isn’t going to be very popular post with my sisters, who both own bulldogs. But this is something that has been on my mind recently, and since this is my blog, I’m going to speak my mind. I have never been one to care much about popularity contests.

I feel that it is irresponsible and ethically wrong to unnaturally select for deleterious mutations in animals. Specifically, I’m talking about English Bulldogs. Having spent a little time with two different English Bulldogs, I have come to this conclusion. I feel pity for these two animals who are bred for certain traits, that apparently are desirable to humans. I don’t see it myself but apparently there are many people who believe the English Bulldogs are “cute”.

English Bulldogs have been bred to select for an extremely short snout, so much so that it interferes with breathing. Both of these Bulldogs sound like they are struggling to breathe all the time. You can hear them coming a mile away because of their breathing. Other traits for which they have been selectively bred include: severe underbite-which makes it difficult for them to eat. Wide hips, which I guess makes them look stout but actually they are much more prone to dislocation. Extremely short legs, a large boxy head. Etc. These animals are such mutants that they cannot breed naturally. The puppies heads are so big they will not fit through the birth canal and must be delivered via cesarean section. To me, this is cruel. Not to mention the fact that English Bulldogs cannot swim. I found this out firsthand Friday. They sink to the bottom like a brick. I have never heard of a dog that cannot swim. I cannot speak for all bulldogs on this next comment but the two that I’ve gotten to know don’t seem to be very bright. One of them attacks people for no reason and is unpredictable. And the other one picks fights with a dog much bigger than himself, who could easily kill him, and almost did. But he doesn’t learn his lesson. He continues to be aggressive towards my Great Pyrenees.

Dogs are interesting species simply because of the diversity. There is no other species with such a wide variation within the species, among the different breeds. From a tiny teacup toy breed that probably weighs two or 3 pounds to the very large Irish wolfhound or St. Bernard, which can weigh more than an adult human. All dogs descended from wolves, but with humans selectively breeding for certain traits, many dog breeds have developed which don’t even resemble their ancestors, the wolves.

Genetic mutations are an interesting phenomenon. Now it’s time for the biology lesson. :-) Mutations occur naturally, some of them being deleterious, which I think is the stigma associated with mutations. But mutations can also be advantageous. Let me give you an example. Sickle cell anemia. In populations where malaria is rampant, people who are heterozygous, Ss, for sickle cell anemia are resistant to malaria. Therefore, those who carry the gene, s, which is for sickle shaped red blood cells, but also carry a normal allele, S, which is for normal round red blood cells, are more resistant to malaria. I should say, more resistant than those who are homozygous dominant, SS, no sickle cell mutation. But, on the downside those who end up with ss, homozygous recessive, end up with sickle cell disease. So, for argument’s sake, let’s say that everyone in the population is heterozygous Ss, and therefore resistant to malaria. These people have the dominant gene, therefore have normal red blood cells, and suffer no ill effects. But the children of this population will have a 25% chance of being homozygous recessive,ss, for sickle cell disease, 25% will be homozygous dominant SS, completely normal but not as resistant to malaria, and 50% will be heterozygous Ss, completely normal red blood cells but more resistant to malaria. Therefore, the mutation will never die out because those who carry it have some advantage over those who don't. Even though those 25% who end up with homozygous recessive, ss, sickle cell disease, are much worse off.

Since I’m on the subject, I will mention something else you probably never thought of about genetics. People who have the ability to store fat, and have a low metabolism, are actually more fit than those who have a high metabolism and can’t gain a pound. This seems counterintuitive in our well fed, inactive society. But in times of famine those who have energy stores, and don’t require as much food, will survive much better than those with a high metabolism, who don’t have the reserve energy stores. Lest you be confused, when I speak of fitness, I’m talking about genetic fitness, not someone who exercises and is physically fit. You’ve probably heard the term, survival of the fittest. This is what it’s referring to, genetic fitness. Those who are able to survive to reproduce because they are genetically superior, or more fit, to other individuals in a population. In genetics it’s all about the offspring.

In animal populations is generally the female who selects a mate. She tends to select the male who is most fit (genetically). In other words, she looks for a mate who will give her offspring the best chance for survival. This is what is referred to as natural selection. For instance: the zebra who can run the fastest and is more agile can escape the lion, and live to see another day, and reproduce. Therefore, speed and agility are naturally selected for in zebras. Another example, the giraffe with a long neck who can reach the tallest leaves has a better chance of survival than a giraffe with a shorter neck. Therefore, long necks are naturally selected for in giraffes.

Well, it appears as though I’ve gone off on a genetic tangent. My whole purpose was to explain natural selection in nature as opposed to humans who are unnaturally selecting for certain traits in dogs, specifically English Bulldogs. As I’ve said before, I feel it is irresponsible and unethical, and even cruel to select for such traits that are deleterious to the animal, just because it makes them “cute”. English Bulldogs would not stand a chance to survive in the wild. In fact, if humans didn’t care for dogs, most of the breeds would die out very rapidly in the wild. The breeds that would survive, or would stand the best chance of survival, are those who most closely resemble the ancestors from which they came originally, the wolves. Because these are the traits and characteristics which have been naturally selected for over many years in the wild.

I feel sad for English Bulldogs as a breed. And actually for each individual animal. The poor dogs have to deal with the mutated bodies they’ve been given. It isn’t right. I blame the breeders but I also blame the consumers because it is all about supply and demand. Everything comes down to money. I understand that most people who purchase a bulldog just think they are cute and don’t consider the deleterious genetic mutations that have been unnaturally selected for by humans. English Bulldogs are a prime example of unnatural selection for deleterious mutations. The result, is perhaps "cute" to humans but detrimental to the bulldog.

In the words of my dad, “poor little guy” (referring to the English bulldog). That pretty much sums it up.

That’s my two cents.

22 comments:

  1. Yes, I do love my bulldog. I do think bulldogs are cute. But my reasons for loving bulldogs go back to my childhood and beyond the cuteness.
    I know they are "mutants" as you say, but that doesn't make them less lovable to me. Me buying a bulldog and Juliet buying a bulldog did not determine the continuation of bulldog breeding. People are mutants too and they continue to breed.
    I do not agree with greedy breeders of any type of animal. And yes, it would be better if my dog could breathe better and go on longer walks, but she is still a huge part of our family and everyone here loves her...even our cat.
    Everyone has their own likes and dislikes when it comes to types of dogs and I will always like English bulldogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, your purchase of a bulldog did in fact help with the continuation of bulldog breeding. If it were not for the demand there would not be a supply. If nobody purchased bulldogs, there would be no profit in breeding them. I'm not saying that your dog is not lovable. All dogs are lovable. I just do not agree with breeding animals because people think they are cute when the animal has to suffer. You're correct in saying that people are also mutants, but people are not bred to select for deleterious mutations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting post Tam. I liked your explanation of mutations and sickle cell anemia. That takes me back to the Green River CC days. I remember learning about that. My professor even talked about dog breeding and how all the different breeds came about because of human "wants". It is interesting stuff. I chose Dakota and Willie simply because I wanted dogs who could be my running companions. And I knew they would be great with little kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No,my purchase of Coco did not determine the continuation of bulldog breeding.
    It isn't a "I demand a mutant dog" thing, it's "there's a nice, cute dog that needs a home and I think we should make her a part of our family" thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa, your purchase of Coco did not determine the continuation of bulldog breeding. But it did contribute to it. If everybody who purchased a bulldog would have selected another breed instead, there would be no demand for continuing to breed them. It is all about supply and demand. I am not suggesting that existing bulldogs should not be loved and cared for, I am merely suggesting that they shouldn't continue to be bred. As I said before, I feel it to be unethical and irresponsible to breed English bulldogs. For the animal's sake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. =) lol =)
    I know what you mean Tam. It's just fun to keep you going. =) And it did feel like I was back in biology class when I heard you talking about genetics.
    I do love those sweet little bulldogs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa, being a mutant might not make them less lovable, but attacking little kids definitely makes your particular dog less lovable. I would never own a dog who attacks little kids - regardless of the breed. There is never an excuse for attacking a kid no matter what the kid supposedly did to aggravate the dog. All a dog should have to do is give a snap or nip to warn the kid not to continue with the behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  8. First of all, English bulldogs in general are supposed to be great with children...that's one of the reasons we got a bulldog. My dog is not a typical bulldog--everyone knows she has mental issues. I don't agree that she is less lovable just because she has problems. I can see why you would, because she isn't your dog.
    It's not like I went out and bought a dog that I thought would be mean and aggressive to kids. It was the opposite. I got a dog that was described as being gentle with children.
    In my care my dog stays locked up when others are around because I don't want my dog to hurt anyone. When it is just our family, she is like any other dog...nice and loving.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Let's all crack a cold one and chill.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was fun. I'm glad we finally got a debate going.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I knew you were liking it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. :) when I saw 11 comments, I had to click and read.. the comments were sure entertaining! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for making me laugh Kari.

    ReplyDelete
  14. my english bulldog rules and i don't care what u say ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Boy Juliet, that was a fierce rebuttal :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Let's see how high we can get this thing, shall we? I agree with Juliet. Kekoa is a good little bully.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't think anybody ever said Bulldogs as a breed can't be loved. I think Tam's post was merely stating the facts that they were bred with selective mutation in mind and that they are genetically inferior to other breeds. Don't get so defensive about your love. Nobody was attacking the love you have for the animals. Tam was just stating some scientific facts and stating her opinion that it is unethical and cruel to the breed. Chill out max and relax on cool and shoot some b-ball outside of the school, know'm sayin'?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I feel I was defending more the fact that I had nothing to do with the genetic mutation of the bulldog breed. They were mutated long before my time.

    ReplyDelete
  19. All I'M going to say is WOW........actually I just wanted to see this posting get to the number 20. Yikes!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Let's go for 21! Seriously, though I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings but I just really don't like dogs. To each their own.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I absolutely agree with Tammy's point of view. Of all the many breeds we have, with proper length of leg, proper noses, jaws that fit each other, deep chest for the heart and lungs and a body shape that is in proportion- why go for the likes of the bulldog or indeed any dog breeds where it's so obvious that they are genetic mutants. I blame supply and demand AND the so called show standards. I am a dog trainer and behaviourist and have spent time in dog kennels and know how these short legged short nosed breeds are struggling to breathe !

    ReplyDelete