Friday, November 20, 2015

Choices

This is a classic song by George Jones. There are many reasons why I love this song.  First of all, The Possum delivers this song with emotion and genuineness.  He gives the song authenticity -- he makes you feel like he's lived the song (and he probably has).  :-)

The song delivers a good message -- in a nutshell: Since the day I was born I was given choices.  I was taught right from wrong.  Now I'm paying the consequences of my poor choices. If I would have made better choices my life would be a lot better.

It teaches basic doctrine in country music form.  :-) Funny story: I quoted part of this song in one of my Relief Society lessons when I was in the young single adult ward in Long Beach, California. After my lesson one of the old man priesthood leaders who had overheard part of my lesson as he was walking by the Relief Society room waited until after the lesson to come talk to me.  He wanted to meet the remarkable young woman who quoted George Jones in a Relief Society lesson. He was a George Jones fan and he could hardly believe what he was hearing.  :-) It's not often that George Jones is quoted in church.  :-) Especially by a young 20 something in Long Beach, California.

And last but not least I have to mention that "the Possum" reminds me of one of my uncles.  :-)

Enjoy this wonderful performance of "Choices" by George Jones.




Choices

Written by Billy Yates and Mike Curtis

I've had choices
Since the day that I was born
There were voices
That told me right from wrong
If I had listened
No I wouldn't be here today
Living and dying
With the choices I made

I was tempted
By an early age I found
I liked drinkin'
Oh, and I never turned it down
There were loved ones
But I turned them all away
Now I'm living and dying
With the choices I made

I guess I'm payin'
For the things that I have done
If I could go back
Oh, Lord knows I'd run
But I'm still losin'
This game of life I play
Living and dying
With the choices I made

I've had choices
Since the day that I was born
There were voices
That told me right from wrong
If I had listened
No I wouldn't be here today
Living and dying
With the choices I made

Living and dying
With the choices I made


The moral of the story is: make good choices and you'll be a lot better off.

That's my two cents.

2 comments:

  1. True. We all have choices and we all, at times, make poor choices.
    This is why we are here in mortality, to learn through experiences.
    "Never try that again." :) Hopefully we learn quickly, so we can "fix" the wrongs and continue TRYING to live the best we know how.
    I was just listening to George Jones yesterday. :)
    Great RS story.

    By the way, the background is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been watching the old George Jones Show on Youtube for the past several weeks, and he usually has three guest artists on with him with each show. What a well written song. Hard to beat George Jones, and Merle Haggard's music. You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy.....I'm living proof. Great R.S. story Big T, and a great post.
    Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete