Sunday, November 22, 2015

One Year

One year ago today my left femur was snapped in two.  November 22, 2014.  Why I remember dates like this I don't know, but I do.  I wasn't diagnosed until my birthday December 9, 2014.  I had surgery to repair it on June 16, 2015 and on November 9, 2015 I finally got good news that it was healing.

It was almost an entire year's journey from the original break until the miraculous news of healing was received.  I truly do believe it was a miracle.  Bones don't take that long to heal.  Especially after it had already been three months after the surgery and there was still no sign of healing.  Then two months after that it's healing.  That's a miracle.  There is no other explanation for it.

Here is the radiographic journey:

December 9, 2014
AP above, lateral below


AP and lateral January 13, 2015
February 13, 2015 AP 
March 13, 2015 AP 
May 8, 2015 AP
June 26, 2015.  X-ray 10 days S/P fixation

I don't know what happened to my July or September 2015 x-rays.  I can find them on my hard drive. :-( Suffice it to say that there was no healing visible according to my surgeon.

 This is my most recent x-ray taken on November 9, 2015 -- callus formation and healing visible!  :-)
Yippee!

This past year has been quite a journey. 

I remember last Thanksgiving sitting at the table to eat our feast and not feeling the greatest with an undiagnosed broken femur.  It was on this day that I announced to my family that I didn't think it was a blown out knee-- despite what everyone was telling me -- I went back to my original thought when it first happened -- broken femur.

I remember a certain family member telling me that there is no way my femur was broken -- because if it was I would be dead.  I said, "get ready to eat crow because it is broken".  And I was right, naturally.  :-)

Oh how quick to forget -- people need to remember how tough I am.  :-) Any lesser human would not have survived what I have been through.  I'm pretty much the toughest person on the planet.  :-) Thanks to superior genetics and unparalleled tenacity.  :-)

Who would have thought that a year later on Thanksgiving -- my femur would still be healing.

But at least it's healing!  Finally!

Hopefully by next Thanksgiving my broken femur will be a distant memory.  :-)

That's my two cents.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe how horrible the break was in those x-rays.
    Glad it is finally HEALING! A year later.

    ReplyDelete