Thursday, January 2, 2020

My Favorite Things

The other day I was thinking about my favorite animals.  Then I was thinking about other favorites of mine.  So I decide to document it on my blog for fun. I think I will list my top three and then elaborate on some of the categories.

My favorite animal:

1 -- Gorilla
2 -- Polar Bear
3 -- Elephant

I tend to gravitate towards large mammals.  These are some other animals I love: lion, giraffe, zebra, Wolf, grizzly bear, Tiger, whales, sharks especially great white and hammerhead, cougar, elk, coyote, sloth, llama, black bear, hippopotamus, rhinoceros, walrus, Seal, Penguin, Komodo dragon...I almost forgot dogs -- big dogs.  I don't care for little yappy annoying dogs.

My Favorite Color:

1 -- Pink
2 -- Yellow
3 -- Orange

I prefer warm colors.  Red is probably number four.  I also enjoy earthtones like Browns, greens, and blues.  I despise Gray.  I used to not like purple, but I do enjoy warm purples with more red than blue.
All colors are nice in their own way.  It's nice to have a variety.  Perhaps I was a bit harsh on gray.  :-) But it is a very dismal color.  Why do you think prisons are gray?  "Four gray walls surround me".

My favorite meal:

1 -- Mom's breakfast consisting of perfectly cooked crispy thin sliced bacon, regular eggs (over easy ;-)), hash browns made from freshly grated potatoes, crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside. And don't forget the orange juice with lots of pulp.

2 -- fish and chips fresh out of the fryer.  With good tartar sauce and ketchup.  :-)

3 -- I'm having a hard time picking number three but I think I'm going to go with mashed potatoes with gravy, fresh broccoli with butter and salt, and either baked fish or moms crispy hamburger patty which was a staple growing up.

I also love tacos, spaghetti, pizza, sweet and sour chicken, roast beef, lasagna, homemade rolls, garlic bread, grilled cheese-- I will pretty much eat anything.  Some foods I don't care for per se: shrimp, shellfish in general -- although I do like crab, and rice. I'm sure there are more foods I don't care for but I can't think of them right now.

 My Favorite Flower:

1 -- Bearded Iris
2 -- Oriental Lily
3 -- Hydrangea

All flowers are pretty.  I even love wildflowers and what people call weeds like dandelions.  I also really like peonies, roses, any kind of lily, petunias, hyacinth, tulips, marigolds, dahlias, and pretty much any flower that has a big showy head.

My Favorite Tree:

1 -- Crimson King Maple
2 -- Flowering Plum
3 -- Blue Spruce

I also enjoy any large mature conifer like Douglas fir.  I also really enjoy flowering trees in the springtime especially.  In Florida I grew to love magnolia trees.  Palm trees are nice if you're in a tropical climate.  Fruit trees aren't very pretty but they give us lots of tasty food.  I especially love cherries.  Trees are majestic and add beauty wherever they are.

My favorite school subject:

1 -- Biology
2 -- Human Physiology
3 -- Microbiology

I also enjoyed studying biochemistry, physics, inorganic chemistry, and anatomy.  I despised studying English and history.  Although the Civil War was my favorite subject in history.  I didn't mind studying math.  Although it wasn't my favorite.  It was much better than English and history.  :-)

My favorite book:

1 -- The Book of Mormon (of course)
2 -- The other standard works: The Bible (Old and New Testaments), The Doctrine and Covenants, The Pearl of Great Price
3 -- Any Church Book-- especially those written by prophets and apostles.

I'm not really a book person.  The Book of Mormon is a logical choice for number one because it is the most correct book on earth.  And a man would get near to God by abiding by its precepts than by any other book.

My Favorite Movie:

This seems to logically follow my favorite book.  Although I'm not a movie person so I don't think I could come up with three. I will say The Ultimate Gift would probably be on the list.  Most movies are not worth watching.  Not only are they a waste of time but they actually harm your spirit.

I will mention that when I was in elementary school we were asked this question.  I remember writing in my composition book that my favorite movie was This Is Elvis.  One of the few movies I had seen in the theater. :-)

My favorite hymn:

1 -- O My Father
2 -- Let Us All Press On (this was a favorite of mine in childhood)
3 -- God Be with You till We Meet Again (this has become a favorite because of Dad)

Two and three were hard to choose.  They fluctuate over time.  Some of my other favorites include: Called to Serve, Master the Tempest Is Raging, How Firm a Foundation, Joseph Smith's First Prayer, I Believe in Christ, As Now We Take the Sacrament,...

My Favorite Scripture:

1 -- Helaman 5:12
"And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall."
I'm only going to list one.  This is the on my mission plaque.

My favorite male vocalist:

1 -- Mark Chesnutt
2 -- George Strait
3 -- Merle Haggard

I also like Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Alan Jackson, Earl Thomas Conley, Johnny Cash, George Jones, Keith Whitley, Eddy Raven, Steve Wariner... and of course Elvis.

 My favorite song:

This is going to be too hard to pick.  Some of my favorites include: Marina del Rey, The Chair, The Running Kind,The Cowboy Rides Away, I Told You So, Broken Promise Land, Santa Fe, Neon Moon, Wherever You Are, Silver Wings, I Got Mexico, Some Fools Never Learn, The Weekend, He Stopped Loving Her Today,  I Can't Help the Way I Don't Feel, Pancho and Lefty, ...

My favorite place I have lived:

1 -- Orem, Utah (childhood memories, it's where I grew up)
2 -- Graham, Washington (current residence, beautiful piece of God's green earth, beautiful house)
3 -- hard to choose but I'm going to say Florida.  Because this is where I served my mission and it holds many special memories of serving the Lord.

My favorite car:

I'm not a car person but, I have always liked the Cadillac Escalade.  Or any Cadillac for that matter.

My favorite band:

1 -- Alabama
2 -- Brooks & Dunn
3 -- The Bellamy Brothers

Runners-up include: Montgomery Gentry, Sawyer Brown, The Oak Ridge Boys, Statler Brothers, Lone Star, Little Texas,...

My Favorite Place to Visit:

1 -- African Safari
2 -- Tropical Beach Place
3 -- Book of Mormon/Church History Sites

I've never taken a vacation or visited any exotic place except Hawaii during college spring break.  I've always wanted to go on an African safari.  To see all the cool animals. And of course who wouldn't want to visit a tropical island getaway?  Then I think it would be cool to see more of my own country and visit the hill Cumorah and some of the church history sites.  There is a cool documentary that a lady at church told me about called "Hidden in the Heartland" you can watch it on Prime.  Anyway it's all about how The Book of Mormon historical sites were actually in the United States and not South and Central America like we've always been taught.

Obviously this will never happen to me in this life but one can always dream.

My favorite breed of dog:

1 -- Great Pyrenees
2 -- Bloodhound (only because of Abinadi.)  :-)
3 -- Siberian Husky

Thankfully, my dream came true of owning a Great Pyrenees when we adopted Samson.  He lived up to my expectations.  He was my favorite dog ever.  I didn't realize bloodhounds were so big.  Until we got Abinadi.  He was a gentle giant.  Too bad he had so many health problems most of his life.  He was a sweetheart.  And I have always liked the look of Siberian Huskies.  They look intelligent and are hard workers.

Okay, I've been working on this all day so I think I will quit now and post it.  If I think of another category that I want to post, I will add it later.

I hope you enjoyed learning more about me.

That's my two cents

No comments:

Post a Comment