Monday, May 5, 2014

Happy Birthday Baby Brother!

Today is my baby brother's 37th birthday!  We are the book ends in the family.  I'm the oldest, he's the youngest.  Despite that, Michael and I have always been very close.  Michael and I share many similar qualities.  I would list them all but I don't want to brag :-).

I remember quite vividly the day Michael was born.  I was 6 1/2 when he was born.  Lisa was almost five.  And Juliet was 3 1/2. I know Lisa remembers the day but Juliet doesn't.  I asked her.  :-)

When Michael was born we were living in grandma and grandpa's house -- 925 :-).  Side note, we lived in their house because they for some reason had to live in the duplex they bought, which later became our childhood home -- 192!  :-).

anyway, my grandpa's Aunt Marie lived just a few doors down and for some reason was babysitting us while Michael was born.  Aunt Marie is great grandpa Elmer's brother's wife.  If I remember correctly :-)

Really the only thing I remember about her babysitting us and Michael being born is that it was after lunch and we were in her backyard throwing paper plates back and forth like Frisbees.  :-)

She came outside and told us we had a new baby brother.  I remember getting so excited and jumping up and down and running around.  This was in the days before ultrasound and we didn't know if he was going to be a boy or girl.  I think we were all hoping for a brother after having all sisters :-).

So when Aunt Marie broke the news to us that we had a brother, we were ecstatic!

Michael was about three weeks overdue and weighed in at a whopping 11 lbs. 4 oz.!  And yes he was born naturally.  My mom and he both almost died during childbirth.  That's why he's the caboose.  :-)

Michael is and has always been a wonderful brother to me.  Even though we are 6 1/2 years apart we always had fun hanging out together.  And we still do!  Michael is always the life of the party and makes everybody laugh.  Especially when he and Jason, my plastic brother, get together they play off each other and keep us in stitches. lots of inside jokes :-)

Thanks for all the great memories, Michael!  I'm grateful you are my brother!

Here are some pictures I found of Michael to take you down memory road.  Enjoy!

this was in San Francisco when I was in medical school.
Derrinda, Michael and Dallas
at Dallas' blessing -- 2001 Orem, Utah

Dad, Michael -- we got stars, Derrinda, Mom
Orem Utah, outside of 192


Christmas 2001
Michael, Derrinda, Dallas at 192!

Michael tried to fix the modem on our first computer.  As I recall our first computer had only 1 GB hard drive!  Just for perspective, the computer I'm using to write this has one terabyte which is 1000 times that much storage. look at the old-school monitor :-) awesome!

Christmas 2001 at 192!

at the Dodgers game

This is when Michael found some nachos in the parking lot and ate them!  :-)
2001?


Juliet and Michael

Michael and Derinda at my medical school graduation ball 2001

Michael and Derrinda boogie boarding in HB!  My favorite place to boogie board :-)

Derrinda and Michael obviously in 192's living room.

another picture from my medical school graduation ball -- May 2001

since "the ranch" was only a couple hours from my graduation in San Francisco we took a short trip up to visit grandma and grandpa Stone.

Michael buried in the sand at the beach.  :-)

Downey California.  This was in my apartment.  Michael was living with me at the time.  I remember Michael bought this suit at the Goodwill to interview with the CHP.

Michael and Juliet with my favorite animal of course :-) San Francisco California

Derrinda, Michael and Dallas
Halloween 2001

Michael, me, Juliet
in my apartment in San Francisco.  Notice the Ross bag :-)
Ross was my favorite place to shop :-)

Michael, me, Jason
in front of the Oakland Temple.  This must've been right after they both got back from their missions.

mom, Michael, derrinda, dad
I think this is the mobile home park where Michael and Jason lived in LaGrande, Oregon.  I think this was around the time Michael proposed marriage to Derrinda.

derrinda, Michael, Dallas

me with my bro :-)

Michael and me -- San Francisco apartment

Mercedes and uncle Michael in the pool at the hotel where we stayed for my medical school graduation

uncle Michael, Richie, Mercedes
now those cute little kids are 15 and 16 years old!

me, Michael, juliet
San Francisco California

Michael and Juliet
my San Francisco apartment

Michael, me, Juliet

In the living room of my San Francisco apartment -- I think that's what all the rest of the pictures are, if not I will clarify.





Michael, Dallas, Dad
at dad's Olympic torch bearing ceremony

Jason and Michael
Jason ne'er shed a tear dough :-)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MICHAEL!!!
I love you!


3 comments:

  1. HB Mike. Did anybody notice I was the only one not in any of the photos? "I'm the black sheep of the family..."
    Yep, I remember it well when Aunt Marie announced that we had a new baby brother. Paper plates turned into frisbees in the back yard! We were pretty excited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes Lisa, I did notice that you are not in any of the photos I posted. You ne'er shed a tear dough. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most those pictures of me should be burned. Thanks for the Birthday wishes!! Nothing quite like spending your birthday doing ultrasounds and FNA procedures on Thyroids!

    ReplyDelete