Tuesday, May 27, 2014

President Packer Quotes

These are some quotes from a talk by President Boyd K. Packer that I used in my lesson on Sunday.  They are taken from a talk given on January 16, 2007 at a BYU devotional.  A portion of that talk was reprinted in the August 2010 Ensign.  Here is the link if you would like to read the article.

https://www.lds.org/ensign/2010/08/finding-ourselves-in-lehis-dream?lang=eng

Here are the quotes I used in my lesson.

"Largely because of television, instead of looking over into that spacious building, we are, in effect, living inside of it. That is your fate in this generation. You are living in that great and spacious building."

"The mist of darkness will cover you at times so much that you will not be able to see your way even a short distance ahead. You will not be able to see clearly. But with the gift of the Holy Ghost, you can feel your way ahead through life. Grasp the iron rod, and do not let go. (See 3 Nephi 18:25D&C 9:8.)"

"Atheists and agnostics make nonbelief their religion and today organize in unprecedented ways to attack faith and belief. They are now organized, and they pursue political power. You will be hearing much about them and from them. Much of their attack is indirect in mocking the faithful, in mocking religion.

The types of Sherem, Nehor, and Korihor live among us today (see Jacob 7:1–21Alma 1:1–1530:6–60). Their arguments are not so different from those in the Book of Mormon.

You who are young will see many things that will try your courage and test your faith. All of the mocking does not come from outside of the Church. Let me say that again: all of the mocking does not come from outside of the Church. Be careful that you do not fall into the category of mocking.

The Lord promised, “If ye are prepared ye shall not fear” (D&C 38:30)."


--President Boyd K. Packer, August 2010 Ensign, Finding Ourselves in Lehi’s Dream

I thought there was some very profound insight given in these quotes by President Packer. So I thought I would share them with you on my blog.

Two things that stood out to me were when he said that because of television we are living in the great and spacious building.  Makes me want to pull an Uncle Ron.  :-)

The other thing that stood out to me was that a lot of the mocking will actually come from inside the Church. In fact,  one of the ladies made a comment that most of her persecution comes from her own children.

Anyway I hope you enjoy the quotes.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, that's pretty scary to be living IN the large and spacious building due to television. I'm glad we don't have television in our home anymore. It's so much better without.

    I personally have been mocked by more people within than without.

    Good quotes.

    ReplyDelete