Sunday, January 19, 2014

Mission Memories -- Brooksville -- Sister Beck: Part Two

As I mentioned before, whenever I was transferred, we moved into apartments that were previously occupied by Elders.  There was one common theme.  Well, there were several common themes, but one of them was that there were always suits and ties left behind in the closets.

So we had a ZDM (zone development meeting for those of you unfamiliar with missionary lingo) coming up and Sister Beck, being the more experienced missionary, thought it would be funny to put the suits and ties left behind to good use and dress up as Elders for ZDM.  So, being the obedient Junior companion that I was, I agreed. And actually, I think this was my first ZDM ever.

By the way, ZDM is pretty much the same as Zone conference, except that the mission president does not attend the ZDM.  The zone leaders are in charge of ZDM, therefore it is a bit more informal.

Thus, the following pictures.

Sister Beck as Elder Beck
I don't think the suit does much for my figure -- I prefer dresses.:-)

standing in front of a map of our area.  Bedroom door to the left.  
Actually, I look pretty sharp for a sister in a suit :-)
our zone leaders with Sister/Elder Beck

three of the Elders in the Tampa zone.  I think they were cooking pancakes.

the zone leader doing a presentation to the Tampa Zone. Brooksville and Zephyrhills were both in the Tampa zone. 

Zone leaders with Sister Beck again. come to think of it, this was probably my first and her last ZDM.  I guess she wanted to make it a memorable one.
another self-portrait.  I'm probably singing, "It's Hard to Be Humble" by Mac Davis.  I used to sing that song a lot on my mission :-).  For those of you unfamiliar with that tune, let me tell you the words.
At least these are the words I would sing:

Well, you know it's hard to be humble,
when you're perfect in every way.
I can't wait to look in the mirror,
'cause I get better looking each day.
To know me is to love me,
I must be one heck of a man
well, you know it's hard to be humble,
but I'm doing the best that I can.
:-)

My companions always got a kick out of it :-) 
doing what I do best -- tracting.  :-)

check out what a hard-working, dedicated missionary I was.  Trampling through the mud to find people to teach!  :-)
I think this was the house we were heading towards.

Yes, we tracted out some pretty remote areas. This picture reminds me of one time.  We were in an area like that, and one of the houses had signs posted that said.  "Do not trespass or you will be shot" we decided we would skip that house.  :-), Although we did think about it.  :-)

Sister Beck and her favorite pose, with a dog.
 Sister Beck looking cool in her neon shades.
doing weekly service -- picking up trash on the side of the roads.  Technically, we were not supposed to be doing this.  Service was supposed to be doing something in public where we were more visible as missionaries.  But I was just the obedient Junior companion following my trainers lead.  :-)

actually it was kind of fun -- a welcomed change of pace from the busy missionary life.

another self-portrait.  Aren't we cute?  :-)

being silly.  :-)



more service.

I don't know what we're doing here.  Looks like we have bamboo.

trash

armadillo!




Sister Beck beckoning an armadillo.  :-)

me doing the same :-)




once again, different clothes, different day, same crazy thing.  Beckoning the armadillo.

for those of you who haven't figured it out yet, the armadillo was dead, and we posed him.  :-) In fact, I believe these are two different armadillos -- road kill I guess. these dead armadillos were quite plentiful alongside the road as we did our service picking up trash.  We had to have a little fun!  We still got a lot of work done!  :-)


this concludes part two of Brooksville with Sister Beck.  I think there will be two more parts.  So stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. We never had ZDM in my missions. We had district meeting and zone conference but that was it. Interesting.
    I just sang, "Armadillo by morning" and the kids said, "Amarillo" I had to inform them whenever Aunt Tammy shows pictures of armadillos on her mission I sing "Armadillo by morning." :)

    ReplyDelete