Sunday, January 26, 2014

Mission Memories -- Port Charlotte -- Sister Wilson: Part One

I definitely have more pictures with Sister Wilson than any of my other companions, probably combined.  So I spent the day, putting them into folders -- it takes a long time to drag things only using voice commands.  Anyway, I finally got them all categorized.  So I just picked a few of us for this first post.

I received Sister Wilson as my companion -- straight from the MTC -- when Sister Vega left Port Charlotte.
Sister Wilson was from Inglewood California.  She was born in American Samoa and moved to California when she was a child.  She told me when she lived in Samoa that she was teased by the other children and called "palagi" which means white person.  Because she was more fair complected and didn't fit the stereotype of a typical Samoan.  Sister Wilson would affectionately call me "palagi" (sounds like bah-long-ee) sometimes.

Sister Wilson was much older than me :-) she turned 25 while she was my companion.  I often teased her about being a quarter of a century old.  :-)

Sister Wilson had been working as a secretary (or something like that) in an office before her mission.  So she was more of a career woman.  At least that's how I viewed her.  And she was much more streetwise than me.  Which came in handy several times when I needed her advice on certain situations.  Those stories to follow.  :-)

Sister Wilson was my only companion to have a boyfriend at home waiting for her.  Rob is Tongan and wanted to marry her but she chose to serve a mission first. And I'm glad she did!  I got to know Rob quite well during my time with Sister Wilson.  He even sent me a birthday cake on my birthday.  I remember that.  And he also came to Utah from Southern California to attend my homecoming!  He brought me a red and white lei.  I think I might have a picture somewhere if I can find it.

About a year after I returned home from my mission, Sister Vega met me at our home in Utah, and I drove us down to Los Angeles to attend Sister Wilson's wedding to Rob!  I was honored to be one of her bridesmaids.  I've got pictures of that trip that I will put on this blog after I finish all of my mission memories.

If my memory serves me correctly, I spent more time serving with Sister Wilson that any of my other companions.  I think 5 to 6 months with her.  We got along swimmingly.  She was a lot of fun.  Not quite as crazy as Sister Vega, a little more businesslike and mature, but definitely a lot of fun.

Let the journey begin!

this is one of our many poses we took for our Christmas cards.  In fact, I think this is the one I ended up using.

another Christmas card pose
you can see Sister Wilson's Samoan roots in the above picture.  She had beautiful long thick hair.  She usually wore it in a bun.  If you are observant, you'll notice Pete on the table next to Sister Wilson.  :-)

another picture of Sister Wilson's long beautiful hair.

The numbers on the door are our baptism goals -- companionship, zone, mission

I remember it was the month of November that we were asked to set high goals and work really hard on baptisms.

I think this was shortly after Sister Wilson arrived.  It was a dinner appointment at a restaurant.  I think was olive garden.  I remember Sister Wilson, telling me that olive garden was her favorite restaurant.

If memory serves me correctly, we were meeting Joe, who regularly fed us.  Usually at restaurants because he was a single man. He was a convert of about a year when Sister Vega and I met him.  And he continued to feed us regularly during my time in Port Charlotte.  More on him later.

this looks like another soft portrait, while we were tracting.

  That's your introduction to Sister Wilson.  Look for plenty of more pictures and stories to follow.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment