Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Hawaii Trip -- Diamondhead

as I mentioned before, the first year I went to Hawaii to visit Juliet, she didn't have a car so we literally ran or walked everywhere.  So this is our journey to diamond head.

Of course Juliet was on a full ride cross-country scholarship to the University of Hawaii.  So obviously she was in great shape.  Luckily, I continued running after my mission, while I was at Utah State, so I was also in pretty good shape.

I think it was about 6 miles each way from Juliet's apartment in Honolulu to diamond head.

as I recall, we packed a lunch and put it in a backpack, which I think we took turns carrying.  When we got to the base of diamond head.  We ate our lunch in a grassy area to refuel and then hiked to the top of diamond head.

The actual hike was quite panseric.  The run was much harder.  I don't even think it was a mile to the top.  And it was kind of weird because you have to climb a bunch of stairs, and part of it is in the dark.  I think they have flashlights there for you to use. anyway the views from the top are spectacular.  As you will see in the upcoming photos.  :-)

You'll have to pardon all of my heathenic pictures.  :-( But hey, it's hot and muggy in Hawaii, and I had to run 6 miles to get to the bottom of the hike :-).

Juliet on our run towards Diamondhead.

me running towards diamond head from Honolulu.  I think that's the aforementioned backpack in the foreground.  It was actually really fun to run there, hike diamond head and then run back. I'll bet not too many people do that :-)
me standing by the sign as proof of purchase that we went to diamond head :-)
me hiking diamond head
Juliet and me at the top of diamond head.  Check out the view!  That is Honolulu in the background.

Juliet atop diamond head.
check out the flashlight in her hand :-) I'm not sure if we had to bring our own flashlights or if they were provided.  It seems like they were provided, but I can't remember.  Can you help me out, Juliet?

me at the top of diamond head with flashlight intact :-)

okay this is a picture of Juliet pointing to her apartment building tower.  That is where we ran from.

still a top diamond head, but facing the other direction, away from Honolulu.  I think, they say on a clear day you can see the neighboring islands. as a matter of fact, I do think that we could see an island, but I don't remember which one.  :-( Do you remember, Juliet?

I don't think I'm actually flexing in this picture, but if I was it wouldn't look much different :-)
my siblings and I share a trait that we affectionately call spaghetti arms :-) .  It is very apparent in the above photo.  I don't know why I'm still holding the flashlight :-)

this appears to be my favorite pose.  You will see it, over and over again, unfortunately, in subsequent pictures.

behind Juliet on the trail, where you see all the people, that is where all the other pictures were taken.  I don't know if we were supposed to leave the area to go to where Juliet is what we did.  I mean, there's a trail to it so I guess it was okay.  I'm not sure what this metal thing is that Juliet is sitting on.

me standing by the same structure.
note the backpack at my feet :-) and notice I'm still hanging onto that flashlight :-)

So, after all of this, we had to hike back down and run another 6 miles home :-)

I think we probably stopped at the beach on the way home. Maybe a couple of different beaches :-) As intimated by our swimsuits underneath our running clothes. 

so I think it was more leisurely, 10K run back home :-)

tomorrow I think I will do, Hard Rock Café.  So stay tuned.


2 comments: