Monday, January 31, 2022

Agreement, Commitment, Follow-through

Another one of Cesar's mantras is agreement, commitment, follow-through.  Obviously, this applies to humans' relationship with dogs.  But it also applies to many aspects of life.

I'm sure Cesar could teach this better than I can, but I'm going to give you my interpretation of Cesar's principles.

When you decide to get a dog, you must learn the responsibilities required.  The basic necessities are food, water, shelter.  Dogs also require exercise, discipline, and affection as basic necessities.  Once you understand the responsibilities that dog ownership entails, then you agree.  You decide to get a dog and commit to provide those basic necessities along with toys and treats, etc.  

Once you have a dog, you must follow through.  This is the hardest part for most people.  Owning a dog is a long-term commitment.  10+ years for most dogs.  A lot of people, once they get a dog, may have good intentions, but slack off.  They don't follow through.  Cesar says you should walk your dog at least one hour every day.  I doubt many people do that.  A lot of people just provide food, water, shelter, and affection.  But don't give the dog rules, boundaries, limitations, exercise, mental stimulation, etc.  This takes work.   Most people don't take the time or patience to properly follow through.  That's why most dogs in America are not balanced.

Another example of agreement, commitment, follow-through would be goals.  When we set goals, we agree to do what's necessary to achieve that goal.  We commit to doing it.   Then we follow through.  All three – agreement, commitment, follow-through – are necessary to achieve the goal.

When I was a young child,  I wanted to become a doctor.   I learned what was necessary to achieve that goal.  Years of schooling,  hard work, moving to different parts of the country, etc.  Agreement.  Then I committed.  I applied, I interviewed, and accepted the challenge.  Then, of course I had to follow through.  I had to earn my bachelors degree.  I had to move to San Francisco.  And I had to work hard for four years to receive my diploma/degree.  Without agreeing, committing, and following through, I would not have received my degree.  I would not have become a doctor.

The same thing is true with marriage and relationships.  You date and get to know each other.  If you are compatible you agree to enter a relationship and mutually decide to commit to marriage.   When you marry you make vows to each other to commit to becoming a family.  But the wedding is not the end.  It is just the beginning.   Marriage and relationships take work.  If both parties in the marriage or relationship are not willing to follow through, then the marriage or relationship fails.

Cesar's trifecta of agreement, commitment, follow-through applies spiritually as well.  I saw this a lot on my mission.  We would teach people the gospel of Jesus Christ.  They feel the spirit and develop faith.  They like the happiness and peace that the gospel brings into their lives and want it to continue throughout their life.  Agreement.  Then they choose to repent and be baptized and become a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  Commitment.  A lot of people think that's all they have to do.  But again, that is not the end, but just the beginning.  After agreement, and commitment – faith, repentance, and baptism  – there must be follow-through, or in other words, endure to the end.

Follow-through or enduring to the end is what we must do every day, after we agree and commit to living the gospel of Jesus Christ.  Without follow-through, everything falls apart.  I have seen many faithful, committed members of the church fall because they didn't follow through.

Follow-through is a continual process that requires effort, work, and patience.  If we don't continually work towards living a Christlike life, and following God's commandments (follow-through), our commitment begins to wane, and our faith (agreement) begins to wane – and we eventually fall.

Whether it's building and maintaining relationships, achieving goals, spiritually progressing or another facet of life – to achieve balance in all aspects of our lives, we must apply Cesar's principles of agreement, commitment, follow-through.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom, Cesar.

That's my two cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment