Friday, January 7, 2022

My Pack -- Samson

Of all the dogs I've ever had in my pack, Samson is my favorite.  They are all special but Samson was the only one I chose.  I had always dreamed of having a big white fluffy dog.  When I was at Utah State University I saw a lady walking a big white fluffy dog on campus.  Against my nature, I went up to her and asked her what kind of dog it was.  A Great Pyrenees.  Since that day I dreamed of owning a Great Pyrenees.

After Panda died I started looking online for a Great Pyrenees.  I found two male brothers at the Humane Society in Port Angeles.  Sampson and Simba.  Dad and Lisa made the 2+ hour drive from Puyallup to Port Angeles to go get one of them.   Someone else had already spoken for the other one.  Dad and Lisa made it there first, so they got to choose.

Lisa said when they got there they couldn't believe how big they were.  They chose Sampson because he was the better looking of the two and didn't lick.  His brother, Simba, liked to lick.  I was so happy when they brought Samson home.  We liked the name, Sampson, so decided to keep it.  But I changed the spelling of his name to reflect the biblical character, Samson.

We were told that Samson was born on July 4, 2003.  I think we got him on April 3, 2004.  I know it was during General Conference.  So he was nine months old when we got him.  Even though he was still a puppy, he was full-grown.

Samson was a gentle giant.  He was so good with kids.  But he did have a fierce streak and was very protective.  He liked to patrol the property every morning.  He was a good guard dog.

One time Samson stole a lemon pie out of Michael's lunch.  Michael never forgave him for that.

Samson was intimidating, even though he was small for a Great Pyrenees.  He was still almost 100 pounds.  He scared a lot of the BSS tenants.  "Where's Samson?"  "It's like, I'm not moving."

Samson loved it when we moved out here to Graham on acreage.  He was in heaven.  Samson liked to follow me down to the dog tree.  He is now buried there.

Samson lived to be almost 13 years old.  He lived a good life and blessed my life tremendously.



Doesn't this photo look professional?  This picture was taken on Memorial Day 2007.  Samson romping through the fields at our property here in Graham before the house was completed.  We didn't move in until fall of 2007.  Samson looks like he is smiling.


Samson means business when he patrols the property.


Backyard at 29029 under the shade tree.


I think this was 2005.  This is 29029 before the construction of the house.



Me, Dad pointing something out, and Samson.  29029.




I may have gone a bit overboard on including all of these photos of me with Samson on the dirt mounds during construction of the house at 29029.  Even though I look horrible, I love these pictures of me with my loyal friend.



Look how happy we both look.


I'm surprised my chair made up there.  With all that loose dirt, I don't know how I didn't get stuck.  Maybe I did, I don't remember.


Me and my faithful companion.


So happy.



Can you spot us?



Isn't Samson so photogenic?


Looks a bit precarious.  I've always been a bit adventurous.




I love this photo of Sam.  He looks so intelligent in this picture.


Samson looks rather fierce in this one.  Although I think he's just yawning.


Samson by the "Big Dodge".  I think this was building fence at 29029.  Graham, Washington


Samson with Dad.




Samson at obedience training graduation at PetSmart.  I have a better picture where you can actually see the mortarboard on his head, but I can't find the file.


Samson didn't really learn anything, but they let him walk anyway.  :-)  Doesn't he look so proud?


I just found this in a different file.  Dad, Samson, and me.  At Samson's graduation at PetSmart.



At BSS.  Puyallup, Washington.  Sometime between 2004-2007.




We always said that Samson had human eyes.  I think you can see it best in this photo.



In his element in the snow.  Samson loved the snow!  It's in his DNA.


Samson looking up at Chanelle.  29029.  Lisa and Richie on far right.


Very majestic.


Mom, Chanelle, Samson.


Dogs love dirt!  Backyard at 29029.  Probably 2007.




Front yard at 29029.


Pretty flowers.




May 2007.


Like a lion in the grass.


I think this is my favorite photo of Samson.  It's the one I put on his headstone. He looks so happy and regal.


Looks like he's smiling big.



This is after Samson's hair started bring back after a haircut.  He looks so clean.




We used to go up and down the driveway quite often.  29029.






Samson, Dad, and Mercedes planting trees along the driveway at 29029.  2007.


After Dad fenced a garden area.  Around 2010 or 2011 maybe.



On the night of February 21, 2016 Dad noticed that Samson couldn't get up.  He refused food and water.  The next day we knew that Samson would be graduating mortality.  This picture shows Dad petting Samson's head.


February 22, 2016.


I hung out with Samson all day until it was time to say goodbye.


This was only a few days after Valentine's Day.  As you can see I'm wearing my heart blanket.  Samson will always have a piece of my heart.


February 22, 2016.  Samson had a heart of gold.  He was my loyal friend for nearly 12 years.  


Rex preparing Samson's final resting place.


Derrinda and the boys came to pay their last respects.  Everybody loves Samson!  February 22, 2016


This is the headstone I had made for Samson.  He truly was the best dog in the history of mankind.




RIP Samson.  July 4, 2003 - February 22, 2016.

God be with you till we meet again, my faithful friend.  You were a dream come true.

That's my two cents.


1 comment:

  1. A lot of really great pictures of a really great dog. I will never forget the first time I saw him--or that drive home--and your reaction when you first saw him. Many years with wonderful memories. I can't believe how young the nephews were when we buried Samson. Doesn't seem that long ago, but a lot can happen in 5 years. Samson was a special dog- his eyes seemed human most of the time. A loyal friend for sure.

    ReplyDelete