Saturday, January 8, 2022

My Pack -- Abinadi

I've blogged about Abinadi before, but not this comprehensively.  Abinadi was quite the character.  As you will see from his photos below.  According to the date listed on the photo file, Abinadi first came to us March 30, 2013.  I remember it well, Mom and Dad and I were sitting at the kitchen table eating breakfast.  I saw a skinny brown dog in the backyard.  As he got closer, I realized he was a bloodhound.   I didn't realize bloodhounds got that big.  He was actually bigger than Samson.  Although they were very close in size.  Anyway, I told Dad to give him some food because he was so skinny.  You could see his ribs.

Well, he decided to stick around.  I named him Abinadi, after the Book of Mormon prophet.  We tried finding his owners.  We took him to PetSmart to scan for a microchip.  He didn't have one.  As I recall, he was with us a few days and we eventually located his owner.  They came and picked him up.  Sadly, the little girl in the car didn't even get out to greet him.  I felt like we had just sent him back to prison.

Apparently the owners were backyard bloodhound breeders.  They said his name was Bocephus.  The lady that came to get him said that they had had several dogs run off before because bloodhounds like to track when they catch a scent.  She told Dad that he was nine months old and had already fathered a litter.

I began second-guessing returning him, and I hoped and prayed that he would be okay.

A couple of weeks later, April 14, 2013, Dad and I were coming home from church.  Lo and behold, who do we see as we turn the corner to the house -- Abinadi!  I was so excited.

Abinadi had chosen us to be his pack.

We took Abinadi to the veterinarian to get checked out and get shots etc.  It's a good thing we did.  The vet said that Abinadi had a parasite from eating raw salmon and if he hadn't gotten treated, he would have soon died.  That's why he was so skinny.  And I doubt they fed him well either.

A couple months later we had him neutered and microchipped. He started gaining weight and looking healthy.

Abinadi and Samson got along well.  Samson taught Abinadi how to be a good guard dog.






I think this is the first time Abinadi came to our house.  He was so hungry.  March 30, 2013


Notice Samson and me in the kitchen behind the glass door.




I love these pictures of Abinadi's big snout.  So cute!




Abinadi looks like a cartoon dog here.  :-)


Abinadi liked to lay next to my wheelchair.  Pardon the Nairobi hair.



Look at that floppy ear.  :-)



When Abinadi would drink water, his ears would get wet because they were so long.


You can see how skinny Abinadi was.  You can see his ribs in these photos.


Sorry these photos are a little pale, I had to Photoshop the shadows out because they were so dark.



Abinadi liked to jump on people when he was a puppy.




Me, Samson (outside looking through the door), Abinadi, and Dad.



Abinadi jumping on Juliet.  I love the expression on her face.


These next few photos are when Abinadi came back for good.  Look how content he looks.







Abinadi looking very stoic behind me.  January 1, 2014


My Photoshop handiwork.


Abinadi and Mercedes.


Dallas and Abinadi. 


Abinadi and Parker.


Abinadi and Dad.


Abinadi and me doing the loop around the grove of trees on our property.  Graham, Washington.


Pack walk.



Abinadi was very proper and liked to cross his legs.


This is one of my favorite photos of Abinadi.  It looks like he belongs in a dog show.  :-)


Abinadi shaking hands with Dad.



Backyard at 29029.





When Abinadi was a puppy he used to like to go to the neighbors' and bring home treasures.  One time he was proudly walking up the driveway carrying a raspberry crate in his mouth.  He was also known to steal dog toys.  Lisa said we should have named him Gadianton instead of Abinadi.  :-)


Love this!


Abinadi following Michael on his motorcycle.  Backyard 29029.


Christmas 2013


October 5, 2017 on our driveway close to the gate at 29029.  I also had to remove shadows from some of these photos.



I love Abinadi's face in this photo.  October 5, 2017


I think this is my favorite picture with Abinadi.  I love how he is looking up at me.





Beautiful fall colors.  October 5, 2017 Graham, Washington






More Photoshop skills.


These next photos are taken the dog cemetery where Samson, Dakota (Michael's dog), and now Abinadi are buried.  These photos were taken shortly after Samson was buried there.  March 18, 2016 Graham, Washington.


You can see Willie's headstone at the feet of Samson's grave.  Willie is buried at Mike and Derrinda's old home in Graham.  


Crossing his legs as usual.


Looks like Abinadi caught a scent.


Love this photo!


So Cute!  Notice Dad's lens cap in the photo.




The tree in the top left of this photo is what I call the "dog tree".  This is where I have taken Samson, Coco, Abinadi, Chief, and Rose many times over the years.


Notice Samson's headstone in the foreground.  Dog tree top right.  March 18, 2016



My faithful friend and me.


Me and Abinadi at the dog tree.  Abinadi party stance, looking towards the gate.  Notice the blanket I'm wearing has an image of Samson embroidered on it.  29029.  March 18, 2016.


I love this photo as well.  Abinadi resting his head on Lisa's car as she's about to leave.  Not wanting her to go.  Mom and Dad in the background.


Dad saying goodbye to Abinadi. July 6, 2019 shortly after Dad was given two weeks to live.  Dad died July 23, 2019.  Abinadi didn't last even two months without Dad.  Abinadi died September 18, 2019.

Towards the end of his life, Abinadi was blind.  I remember the first time I noticed his blindness was when he ran into the side of Dad's shop.  I felt so bad for him.  Abinadi was not a very healthy dog.  Probably some inbreeding from the backyard breeders.

Blindness didn't stop Abinadi from following me to the dog tree though.  He would stay by my side until I decided to come back.  

Abinadi was a sweet dog with a tender heart.  Abinadi was part of our pack for about 6 1/2 years.  Abinadi was my last pack member who belonged to me.  Subsequent pack members are other people's dogs.  It makes my heart happy to know that Abinadi chose us to be his pack leaders.


Abinadi's headstone.




RIP my dear, sweet friend.  Until we meet again, Abinadi.  June 2012 - September 18, 2019.  Your time with us was short but sweet.  Thanks for the memories.

That's my two cents.

2 comments:

  1. I love that picture with Dad saying goodbye, right before he passed! And to think Abinadi passed really quickly after Dad! They had a special bond for sure! Now they are reunited in Heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abinadi would always flop his ears over his eyes so he could block the sunlight and sleep in peace. :)
    Lots of good pictures of him.

    ReplyDelete