Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Mission Memories -- Port Charlotte -- Sister Wilson: Part Eleven


Our entire mission got together for a Christmas conference in Kissimmee.  As I recall, we got to spend one day at Epcot Center and one day in a mission conference.

obviously there are going to be many more pictures of the fun day at Epcot.  But I have a couple of pictures of Christmas conference.

It was fun to spend the day with my two favorite companions Sister Wilson and Sister Vega!

Sister Vega, me, Sister Wilson

For those of you familiar with Epcot Center you may not recognize this as Epcot Center.  I'll explain why later :-)

me and Sister Vega, posing with goofy :-)

That's right, goofy, keep your arm off of me -- I'm a sister missionary :-)

okay the truth comes out!
Sister Wilson, Sister Vega and I left Epcot Center and went to Disney MGM Studios instead!  :-)

I think our tickets were good for all three Disney theme parks.  But as a mission we were supposed to go to Epcot Center.  Which we did to start with :-).  We thought Epcot Center was a little boring and I think Disney MGM Studios must've been next door to Epcot.  Or at least within walking distance.

I'm not sure whose idea it was, but we decided that Disney MGM Studios might be a little more exciting.  So we hopped parks. :-)

Yes, true to our rebel form :-)

I'm not sure whose Sister Vega's companion was, but she bailed on her to hang with Sister Wilson and I for the entire day.  It was a blast.  Especially since we didn't have to run into any other missionaries at Disney MGM studios :-)

Interestingly enough, Sister Wilson and Sister Vega -- who didn't know each other at the time -- later served as companions.

Sister Wilson, and me sitting on a big ant

I think this was a "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" feature. in fact, I think most of the pictures.  I have are from the "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" part of the park.

Sister Vega and Sister Stone

Sister Wilson, Sister Stone, Sister Vega

my sliding down the slide in the honey I shrunk the kids feature.

It probably would have been easier without a dress :-)

I'm not sure what this is.  That looks like it might be a big leaf behind me.

this is after we sneaked back to Epcot Center.  :-)

I think this was where we were all supposed to meet at the end of the day.  At least a few of the sisters met here apparently.  I don't know anyone in this picture except Wilson and Vega.

proof of purchase that I actually did go to Epcot Center.  :-)

climbing through a bunch of netting -- also in the honey I shrunk the kids feature.  I think.

I can't believe I did all of this in a dress.

okay this is obviously in the wrong spot.  This is me in front of the Seminole Mall.  Which was my last area.

if you look closely you can see Sister Vega's can crawling into the cave.  With Sister Wilson, close behind her.  :-)

this picture is in front of the Church in Port Charlotte. again in the wrong file.

this is at the hotel room, where we stayed overnight in Kissimmee.

Check me out, I got the whole F-dude hair in full effect while I'm sleeping :-)

Sister Erickson on the left later became my last companion.  I don't know who her companion is.  Then Sister Wilson and me.  At the hotel in Kissimmee.

Me and Sister Wilson with two other sisters from our mission.  I have no idea who they are :-)

This is the only time I ever met any other missionaries from my mission except those who were in my zone.

We were pretty isolated, at least in my first three areas.  Which suited me just fine :-)

that is Sister Wilson talking to Elder Roundy -- who was our zone leader.  I think that is Elder Grabow taking a picture of Sister Wilson, apparently.


looks like I'm having fun :-)

 
Sister Vega looking at me sitting on the giant ant :-)


Sister D. at our Christmas mission conference.  Notice the mugs on the table -- the same ones that Sister Wilson was drinking out of in a previous post.

Apparently, I bought a bunch of conversation bubble stickers to put on pictures.  Because I have several pictures with these crazy conversation bubbles on them.

I don't know what we are doing here.  Looks like we might be singing, I hope not, I can't carry a tune in a bucket.  :-)

just a random picture at Christmas conference.

a bunch of sisters from my mission that I don't know.  The girl on the right in the turquoise is Sister Erickson.  She later became my last companion.

apparently there was a band there :-) I have no recollection of this.

I do remember the Christmas conference in the chapel with our whole mission gathered.  It was pretty cool.

I seem to recall that we had a satellite feed from Salt Lake with Elder Richard G. Scott, of the quorum of the 12 apostles.

I also seem to vaguely recall getting letters from my family back home -- I think they may have been testimonies that the mission office requested from all the missionary's families. It seems like every missionary received a letter from home that contained the testimonies of our families.

Sound familiar, family?

this is a picture of our mission presidents wife, Sister Brimhall -- in the red in the center, with all of the sisters currently in the Florida Tampa Mission in December of 1992.

When I arrived in early February 1992, there were nine sisters in Florida Tampa Mission. By the time I left, July 23, 1993, there were around 20 sisters in the Florida Tampa Mission.

I know I have a picture of my entire mission, including all of the Elders, somewhere.  It was taken outside of the church where our mission conference was held in Kissimmee.

I remember posing for it and all you can see is half of my head with one eye showing.  :-) Trying to find me in that picture is like trying to find Waldo.  :-)

Almost like the one above, where you can just see my head :-)

Sister Wilson sliding down the slide at Disney MGM Studios.

That concludes my Christmas mission conference pictures and stories.

I think there will be two more posts with Sister Wilson.  Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. I smiled big when I saw Sister Erickson in the first picture.
    Oh, the memories of our trip to Vegas for her (temple) wedding.
    She reminds me a lot of Rex's sister, Jennifer.

    ReplyDelete